Sign in to follow this  
aurmol

why ip cam

I got my 4th ip cam to avail of the poe... after payment.. I realized if I made a mistake. Ip cam main advantage seemed to be the single cat5 sharing data and power. But HDCVI (or HD-SDI) doesn't have any latency.. the monitor view is simultaneous with the camera. It is about 60% cheaper. Feeds are immediately available in the monitor. So why Ip cam? What is really the advantage of Ip cam? I am thinking if I should have gotten the HDCVI instead and made mistake in getting the more expensive ip cam. My Nvr can support up to 4 1080p.. but the HDCVI recorder can support up to 1080p too. And my Nvr has separate 10.1.1.1 poe that you can't access anywhere in the network.

Initially I should have gotten HD-SDI but I heard you need top quality coaxial (or it chooses certain ones).. but with HDCVI.. can you now use any cable even at 1080p? So I can know whether to replace my entire ip cams or get HDCVI in my next location suivellance project. Thank you.

Can you mix and match cameras from different mfgs with sdi? I was under the impression that you had to stick with one mfg of cameras and dvr for the system to work. That is fine if your DVR or cameras don't go out but could be a problem down the road. Cat5/6 seems more universal for other devices etc.

With ip cameras, you dont have to homerun each camera to the NVR...you can use a poe switch in one location, hook up 7 cameras and run a single cable back to your network. With ip, you can easily upgrade to the newest cameras that come out.

With ip, you dont have to mess with a separate power cable...With cvi you are really limited the maker that supports it..Although if you are using NVR's for ip cameras i would recommend sticking with the same manufacture for both unless you are using a pc with something like milestone exacq or blue iris..

Most applications do not require real time viewing and a delay of a couple of seconds is irrelevant.

Can you mix and match cameras from different mfgs with sdi? I was under the impression that you had to stick with one mfg of cameras and dvr for the system to work. That is fine if your DVR or cameras don't go out but could be a problem down the road. Cat5/6 seems more universal for other devices etc.

This is actually one of the few problems I didn't encounter. All of the manufacturer's HDSDI products we tested were as interchangeable with each other as SD analog hardware.

With ip cameras, you dont have to homerun each camera to the NVR...you can use a poe switch in one location, hook up 7 cameras and run a single cable back to your network. With ip, you can easily upgrade to the newest cameras that come out.

With ip, you dont have to mess with a separate power cable...With cvi you are really limited the maker that supports it..Although if you are using NVR's for ip cameras i would recommend sticking with the same manufacture for both unless you are using a pc with something like milestone exacq or blue iris..

Most applications do not require real time viewing and a delay of a couple of seconds is irrelevant.

they explained the latency is bec of the ip packet nature of it.. how about in the Hdcvi.. when the recorder goes to the internet and the internet is very slow (like mobile sim card used). Would there be delay in the signals from the nvr to you home.. making it say 3 minutes late... or would this not occur in HDCvi or HD-Sdi because it is allegedly continuously that even when there is not enough bandwidth for remove viewing, the streams still reach you real time even if broken so what happened elsewhere is real time here even passing thru 4g router with slow internet..? or would the pure streams from the HDcvi or Hd-sdi still be packetized in the router? or Not at all??

For viewing over the internet it wont matter whether its ip or cvi (you will still get a slight delay if ip but that is a few seconds max) there will never be a three minuet latency....

For viewing over the internet it wont matter whether its ip or cvi (you will still get a slight delay if ip but that is a few seconds max) there will never be a three minuet latency....

I used mobile cellphone 3G as the internet service provider and transfer speed is only 600kbps.. so there is really a 3 minute latency. But if the source is cvi or sdi, are you saying it will send every 20th second frame such that you receive real time picture frame every 20th second versus ip where the picture frame 2 minutes before are buffered and send 2 minutes later.. or something like this?

if your latency is 3 minuets then its got noting to do with ip vs cvi...its a bandwidth/network issue...

The latency with ip is a 1 to 5 seconds at most...cvi wont help..

What you need it to lower the bandwidth for remote viewing..

An IP cam has web service page inside where you can adjust settings like BLC, chroma... whereas in cvi or sdi.. you can't go inside because it is not ip based... now what is the more common settings that you need to adjust that you can't do in the analog based cams?

My ip cams are inaccessible because my nvr has their own 10.1.1.1 poe switch whereas the nvr itself is based on 192.168.1.*.. so if I get an external switch with poe.. they don't have their own ip address but based on the router? What 4 channel poe switch have you encountered that is the tinest possible?

An IP cam has web service page inside where you can adjust settings like BLC, chroma... whereas in cvi or sdi.. you can't go inside because it is not ip based... now what is the more common settings that you need to adjust that you can't do in the analog based cams?

My ip cams are inaccessible because my nvr has their own 10.1.1.1 poe switch whereas the nvr itself is based on 192.168.1.*.. so if I get an external switch with poe.. they don't have their own ip address but based on the router? What 4 channel poe switch have you encountered that is the tinest possible?

You can still access your cameras..All you need to do is hook up your pc to your NVR and set the ipv4 to match the nvr....also some folks say that just hooking up one port on the NVR to the router allows them to access the cams...

The newest hikvision firmware (if you have a hikvision NVR, also allwows you to use virtual server to access the camera settings)..

But yes, if you used your own poe switch the cameras will get standard ip address that you can easily access.