TheStork

Motion detection on HikVision cameras

Hi,

What are your experiences with motion detection on HikVision cameras?

I have been testing out a Y-Cam Cube HD 1080 before buying a set of (both outdoor and indoor) cameras and the Y-Cam motion detection has been quite disappointing. For example, the Y-Cam triggers motion detection at least twice a day by the slow gradual change in daylight levels triggering a change between day and night mode. The Y-Cam motion detection does not seem clever enough to realise that there has been no sudden change in ambient light levels, so the camera's own mode change triggers a motion detection alarm, which is very annoying.

I'm now thinking of buying some HikVision cameras as their specs seem decent value for money, but I would be interested in hearing what your experiences have been like with motion detection on HikVision cameras. Are HikVision's motion detection algorithms more 'smart' than those of Y-Cam, or are they similarly falsely triggered by a change in day/night mode?

Obviously it'd be fair enough to trigger motion detection if there is a sudden change in actual light levels (a light shone on the camera, or switching lights on in a room etc.), but a night/day mode change should not trigger motion detection as part of slow natural trends in light levels.

If HikVisions' algorithms also cause similar false triggers through day/night mode changes, do you have any camera ranges you'd recommend for consideration (e.g. with specs: bullet, outdoor, PoE, at least 720p, with WDR, IR range of 15-20m, <£500 a piece)?

Thanks in advance.

That's pretty impressive with the Y-Cam. From my experience, you'll get a lot more false motion detects than that. If you want very few or no false motion detects, get a camera with an alarm input, like the Hikvision ds-2cd2732f-is and then get an outdoor PIR motion detector (and 12V power supply for it).

Even the hikvision line detection can trigger on shadows creeping over. Intrusion detection has helped me reduce the amount of false positives.

Just confirmed my hikvision 5.2.0 firmware camera does indeed detect this night -> day change as motion.

I agree it's stupid. If the camera had even a tiny bit better code it would temporarily disable all motion detection for the five seconds immediately after any night/day change until it has re-calibrated itself, thus avoiding this kind of thing.

Most (all?) people here will tell you that motion detection based on image detection is "decent" at best. You will need to use a PIR sensor to get it perfect. The plain fact is motion detection on all these cameras is not as good as you might hope. I use it, but I'm willing to accept as most of us are many false positives. Otherwise, you end up setting the sensitivity so low you may miss real events. Indoor is easy, but outside motion detection can be thrown by cloud movement or a heavy snow or who knows what. An outdoor pointing cam relying on image detection is going to have false positives, it just is. High end cameras or DVRs may deal with it better; I have no experience with those.