myuser

Piping for CCTV cables

Hello All

I have a question about piping for CCTV network and coaxial cables.

I don't know if its related to this category or not.

I've heard that pipe channels between two hand-holes must have a 3% slope.

I searched the web very much but I did not find something good.

Do you know is it a requirement for CCTV piping?

and if true why is it?

Best regards

Pvc conduit must be installed properly to ensure that water cannot enter into the joints.

All connections must be sanded, deburred and glued with correct solvent.

Slope is not required for conduit.

Pvc conduit must be installed properly to ensure that water cannot enter into the joints.

Yup

Thank you myiicu,

So, Is there any documents of all standards & requirements about CCTV Excavation , anywhere on web that I could refer it formally and I could use it at my company?

I want to have a guide for

Excavation, Piping, connections, hand-holes , distance between hand-holes,....

It would be really appreciated if you help me

Not too sure about an all in one guide to trenching/burial/conduit for CCTV.

Try searching terms on this forum for valuable opinions and comments.

Electrical and building codes vary from town to town and state to state.

Related threads...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40070&hilit=burial

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38559&hilit=burial

If all else fails, google works for me.

A good place to start is trenching safety for some basic notes.

Don't forget to notify your local utilites companies to mark and locate your buried wiring/water/gas lines first before you start any digging.

Most municipalities do not charge for this service.

A 2% slope is recommended for burial conduit containing high current conductors that has not been derated.

In this case, the higher temperatures might cause some condensation to build up and a slope would be good to help drain any condensate.

Because of the low current requirements of CCTV, I have not had to worry about derating.

If possible go big diameter with conduit to avoid heat buildup and allows for future expansion.

A 2% slope is recommended for burial conduit containing high current conductors that has not been derated.

In this case, the higher temperatures might cause some condensation to build up and a slope would be good to help drain any condensate.

Because of the low current requirements of CCTV, I have not had to worry about derating.

If possible go big diameter with conduit to avoid heat buildup and allows for future expansion.

Drain to where ?

Bury the biggest conduit you can afford leave a pull string in it you MAY be able to pull additional wires later but not always. If you can, pull in spares at the time you do the install, saves money in the long run. In most areas of the country you will get moisture in the buried conduit so I would use outdoor rated/direct burial wire. depending on your application you can run low voltage power in the same pipe but not high voltage.

Hand holds are usually used when you have very long runs and you insert a box in the line so you can pull wire shorter distances for instance a 1000 ft run may have 2 0r three pull boxes to allow pulling around corners etc.

Oh THAT piping, thought I was going mad,,,

Sorry for not understanding.

For runs upto 25m we use 32mm (Inside diameter) indestructible water pipe in a single piece. It has a bend radius of about 1.5m and so that needs to be taken into account when entering and leaving the ground. We also pull in a draw rope but we do it in advance of installation and pull in another draw rope with the cables so that one remains in the conduit after installation.It is essential for pullng in new cables and adding more in the future. Take a look at youtube for tips and tricks when using undeground conduit. There are some really great tips on how to tie a draw rope to cables and how to get a drawrope through conduit before installation using a vacuum cleaner of all things.

I was on a job and we were trying to get a string through about 500 ft of 4 inch. we had the fancy "mice" and were not able to get the string to go HINT: make sure you get all the water out of the line. Anyway my partner came on the job took a plastic bag cut it down tied the chaulk line to it and put the shop vac on the other end and the line flew through the conduit a whole lot eaiser than tying fish tapes together or getting a very long one.

Never had the opportunity to try that one but i have seen it done on youtube. Anyway we don't have the space in the van for a vacuum cleaner, just a dustpan and brush.