ATypicalSeven

Need help chosing between Camera Brands

So my neighborhood has been having some rise in criminal activities lately and since no one is home most of the time I wanted to get a Security System for the house and was locked down between 2 brands and that is Defender and Swann. I wanted something in the range of 8 channels with Cameras up to at-least 700 TVL with Night Vision. I wanted to split 4 outside cam and buy 4 dome cam for the house being able to view remotely over my phone either via an app or browser. I was really hoping if someone with a better knowledge base would help me narrow my choices or recommend another brand. My price range would be about $500-$600

Here are the 2 I narrow down too

http://www.amazon.com/Defender-Sentinel-Including-Surveillance-21159/dp/B00GR9UTI6/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1418302676&sr=1-2&keywords=Defender

http://www.amazon.com/Swann-Channel-Security-System-Cameras/dp/B00HUFYTZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418299539&sr=8-1&keywords=swann

Thank you in Advance!

I'll give you my opinion on opinions/recommendations. I no longer will. 90% of the time it ends up biting me in the butt. There are too many variables to contend with "long distance". The only way that I will recommend anything is by travelling to the specific site and working up a proposal. My "recommendation" to the DIYer is to Google the particular makes andvmodels and then look at the feedback on them.

I'll give you my opinion on opinions/recommendations. I no longer will. 90% of the time it ends up biting me in the butt. There are too many variables to contend with "long distance". The only way that I will recommend anything is by travelling to the specific site and working up a proposal. My "recommendation" to the DIYer is to Google the particular makes andvmodels and then look at the feedback on them.

Ah okay then I just wanted extra opinions for the cameras as for the past 2 weeks I've been researching all brands of cameras withing my price range and sometimes out.

Spend the extra money and install an ip HD system.. It will blow away those analog systems any day.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-

Cameras.product.100128993.html

The system looks nice but from the mix review I'm not sure about Q-see.

I already placed an order for a Defender similar to the one on amazon but for Homedepot instead since it was about $100 off. I'll update the thread with how the camera are once I get them. Non the less Thanks for the Reply!

You will be sorry running an analog system...there are other systems with better reviews (most reviewers at costco are just technologically challenged)....aside from MUCH better picture quality there are lots of benefits using IP. You can use a single cable to both power the camera and transmit data (much easier to pull the cable)..the qsee is a rebanded dahua and good for the price. Also with ip, if you buy a separate poe switch for 50 bux you can avoid having to homerun the cameras to the nvr...as long as a single cable is connected to the network you are good..

Here is a good comparison..make sure to watch in 1080p mode..

Edited by Guest

I will give you an opinion on IP systems. Before you purchase an IP system, make dang sure that the company has an easy and reliable access to their tech support or purchase from a dealer that understands and supports the product. You will have issues with IP and you need someone who will be able to help you to keep it running as it was designed. DO NOT PURCHASE from the "internet" unless it is as I have advised above.

I will give you an opinion on IP systems. Before you purchase an IP system, make dang sure that the company has an easy and reliable access to their tech support or purchase from a dealer that understands and supports the product. You will have issues with IP and you need someone who will be able to help you to keep it running as it was designed. DO NOT PURCHASE from the "internet" unless it is as I have advised above.

Thats a load of crap..first there are tons of forums like this one with all the info anyone will ever need.

Second those package systems are plug and play..aside from remote viewing and you have the same issue with analog

Third, qsee and swann both provide tech support...

I dont know where you get the "you will have issues" with ip from.

All of this is way better than installing an analog system then coming back to the forum when something happens and ask us to CSI a better image, which is impossible..

Both costco and home depot have awesome return policies as well.

Thats a load of crap..first there are tons of forums like this one with all the info anyone will ever need.

Second those package systems are plug and play..aside from remote viewing and you have the same issue with analog

Third, qsee and swann both provide tech support...

I dont know where you get the "you will have issues" with ip from.

All of this is way better than installing an analog system then coming back to the forum when something happens and ask us to CSI a better image, which is impossible..

Both costco and home depot have awesome return policies as well.

I'll keep a look out for the Ip cameras on Sams since I have a Sams Member Card; I used to have Costco But since it was farther away from my house I decided to cancel my membership. On Home Depot I don't see any Ip Camera with DVR sets but I'll keep an eye on on that. I already placed an order on Homedepot for the defender but if it doesn't work out well on the first week I'll return them for better ones. Thank you however for the suggestion.

Spend the extra money and install an ip HD system.. It will blow away those analog systems any day.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100128993.html

Is this system really worth it? It seems to be very low priced for 6 camera HD IP system.

Whats the drawback?

Its a good system. You cannot build your own for less. If you need a basic 1080p system get it...its costco, you can return it anytime if you dont like it.

Boogieman is right about the system, but I detest Q-see's support team. They are almost impossible to get a hold off. I stopped doing business them 3 years ago. Their wholesale reps would never pick up the phone or reply to voicemails. That's when I was trying to buy stuff. They would respond after 24 hrs via email. If this is how bad their sales team is, imagine how bad their tech support team is.

There are plenty of companies selling cheap 1080p systems now. What is different is who is able to support their customers in a timely fashion and keep up with the pace their company is growing.

Also, the common buyer doesn't have time to search through the forums for solutions. If you pay a very low price for your system, expect to be on this forum looking for answers. If you pay a higher price, more often than not you will also get great support with your purchase. That goes for the smaller security specific e-commerce setups.

I have the defender 8 channel system with 4 cameras and 500 g hard drive, the cameras are 620 res a few weeks after buying one of the cameras would detect motion on and off continously and customer support gave me a runaround, three weeks later we had a lightning storm the strikes were aways away from my house so no strikes near but the constant flashing and the cameras switching from day to night mode the IR led systems burned out on two more so i had three cameras that were crap and of course the customer service gave me a hard time again but would not do anything for me so I told them to get bent and to shove their systems I bought some cameras off e-bay 700 res which have a much better picture day and night. The dvr that came with the system works very well and have not had any problems with it easy to use but I dont have it set up for viewing with my cell phone so I dont know how well that works. dont buy anything with less than 700 res and 100 ft of IR light power.