PeteCress

Motion Sensors: More Reliable Than Home Depot's?

I've been through a few of Home Depot's bundled lights/motion sensors and the quality seems spotty.

A couple are unduely sensitive to cold - tripping for no apparent reason when the temp drops.

Others, same make/model, are OK in one unit and non-functional in another.

I'm thinking maybe buy separate sensors and put together my own light/sensor systems.

I am guessing there are other options that have better quality control and are not cold-sensitive, but are they realistic for the homeowner?

I've been through a few of Home Depot's bundled lights/motion sensors and the quality seems spotty.

A couple are unduely sensitive to cold - tripping for no apparent reason when the temp drops.

Others, same make/model, are OK in one unit and non-functional in another.

I'm thinking maybe buy separate sensors and put together my own light/sensor systems.

I am guessing there are other options that have better quality control and are not cold-sensitive, but are they realistic for the homeowner?

What do you want the sensor to do? Trigger a light, trigger camera recording?

What do you want the sensor to do? Trigger a light, trigger camera recording?

I would settle for Trigger A Light.

Had not thought about triggering a camera recording but, now that you have mentioned it, I think I recall something in BlueIris that can respond to outside triggers.... which might be useful if the hardware could ignore things like falling snowflakes and swirling fog but still pick up on small animals.

I am done with all the box store motion lights, they are too unreliable! The absolute best motion sensor or motion/light combo I have found is RAB Lighting. http://www.rabweb.com/majorGroups.php?pg=OUTSENSORS

I finally bit the bullet and bought the super stealth 360 degree sensor package and couldn't be happier. I still have 3 of their other models on the other side of the house that work great also, just less coverage; 180 degree lens. Never false alarms and they seem to hold up, the original one i bought is still up and works.

They also sell just the sensors; I have a Home Depot motion light that the sensor sucked, but the lights were still good. I bought a RAB sensor and installed it in place of the original motion sensor.

They usually sell through a distributor, but you can get them on ebay or amazon. If you want any zenith motion lights from home depot I have a box in the garage full of them I will sell ya.