mattstrat

System Recommendations for Newbie

Hi Guys

Looks like a great forum here.

I am doing some research trying to put together a CCTV system for my construction company and hoping to get some advice.

After doing some research online, here is roughly what I am looking for:

Geovision 8 or 16 (to allow for future expansion) input card in an existing computer (P4 1 Ghz) which would be just a DVR.

Cameras:

1 dome camera (day/night) for 30' to 50' range

-This is for our office area.

2 to 4 IR cameras (day/night) for 30' to 50' range

-These would be for some large equipment bays.

2 to 3 box cameras (outdoor, area will be lit at night)

-These would be for (1) entrance gate and (2) yard.

Cameras will be from 30' to 300' from the DVR & power.

We are in southern Ontario Canada so the outdoor cameras would need to be OK throughout our winter (sometimes -20 or lower) with whatever enclosures maybe needed.

Also will need all cable, connectors, camera mounts, power supply, etc.

I am hoping to get some recommendations on decent reliable hardware that won't break the bank (I have been looking online and there seems to be a wide range of pricing out there for seemingly-similar spec'd hardware), and recommendations of a good source to purchase from (someone either in Canada or who will ship here).

I'm sure I've missed some details so please ask or PM me if appororiate.

Thanks

I might be mistaken but the Geo Vision cards need more processor then 1Ghz. Are you planning on istalling this system yourself?? I would use Extreme for all the D/N IR cameras especially since they are in a construction environment.

I wouldnt use anything less than a 2.4Ghz now .. a 1.5-2 ghz can work with 2-4 cameras but anything over that and you're pushing it. Remember this software, and Windows XP, were not developed on slow PCs .. so i wouldnt even put XP on anything less than 1.5Ghz.

Thanks for the replies. I will check out those extreme cameras. I guess our 1 ghz computer likely won't cut it for a DVR, so I may look into a standalone DVR vs getting a new computer for the geovision. We are hoping to install the system ourselves.

Thanks for the info so far. I think we will likely get a new computer for a GeoVision instead of a standalone DVR. Can anyone recommend me a good Canadian source for purchasing cameras & Geovision hardware (PM me?)