Sign in to follow this  
oderus1671

what causes video image to 'bend'?

I have some b/w cameras that are about 9 years old, 420 tvl, 12 ir's. On 2 out of 5 cameras, the image flickers and bends at the top of the image. its almost as if the image is getting smeared from left to right. what causes this kind of distortion? I have an old cheapo power supply with eight pigtails that i think may be the culprit. Im not tech savvy enough with a multi meter to check voltages, although I do have one. any ideas?

Thanks ya'll!

Yeah the center of the plugs is 12V +ve (RED) and the the outer part of the plug is 12V -ve.(Black) The meter should read 12V +or minus 5% then you'll know the volts are okay. That's not the only thing that can be wrong with a power supply so borrow one if you can.

oderus1671,

I can add my opinion, based on your comments.

You may have seen the same artifact at the old analog TV set. In old days, most of TV chipset is based on the analog PLL. It takes some time get into synchronization to the incoming vertical sync that indicates a new video frame start, smearing from left to right at the top lines of a video frame. Nowdays, almost all video decoders - are based on digital PLL type, quick to synchronized. So not quite often to observe those artifacts, these days.

It is High Time to get a new DVR and new cameras of much higher TVL number.

thanks for the replies...

Numbnuts, I will try to check the voltages today. I assume theres no risk of shorting anything out on the power supply if I set the multimeter to 12v?

SunnyKim, I agree on the updating my system and cameras. I am hoping to have some funds available early this year to get new cameras and a dvr. Currently Im running a PC based system with an old Avermedia NV5000 and extension card. Are the newer dvr's THAT much better than this setup to justify the purchase? Also, all my cameras are run with siamese coax, pretty good quality, and because I have a manufactured home (ie. doublewide)its a real pisser to run cables, so going the POE way is kinda out of the question. I literally spent two solid weekends just running the cables! So given the 'limitations' of coax, how much of an upgrade can I expect to get as far as cameras go?

Thanks!