Joeinamillion

Looking for ideas on a new CCTV system

I'm looking to replace an old 'out of the box, DYI' Q-See system. Here's what I am looking at right now:

An 8 Channel NVR, with ability to handle larger hard drives (2 or more SATA, with sizes of 2+ TB for total of 4-16+TB total storage recording). And off site storage capabilities (cloud, or whatever). HDMI out and analog out (RCA, BNC, Coaxial, etc) or some way to have viewing possible on a tv set, not important, just nice. I'm currently looking at this package: AvertX 8 Channel HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD and 4 IP Autofocus Dome Cameras from Costco.ca Here's why:

The NVR has features I want (so it claims). The manual I briefly looked at, and will read completely, looks very promising. Looks easy to set up. The dome cameras have a footprint of 4.6" max, that means they will fit where bullet cameras are currently (exterior window casing, and garage door casing). The cameras are 3MP, more than I need (want). The cameras also have an SD card slot, I really like that. The dome cameras claim they have 'auto focus', that worries me a bit for two reasons (one, it not working properly, or breaking, and two I think I read in the manual you focus it from your PC, so how is that 'auto'?) I do like that in the manual it says these cameras can be streamed to a PC via software like VLC, sounds simple, and easy, and free (everyone likes free).

I also have thought about adding two bullet cameras, same company, same features, except fixed focused, and not dome.

I pick this set up for these reasons: Sold by Cost Co. (so I should be able to return it if I need to, even though I'd be likely buying on-line.) Cost Co. is in Canada, and so am I. I want a retailer I can walk through the door. NVR says any ONVIF compliant camera can be used with it.

Cons: I've read same or better systems are out there for less $$$, and more flexibility for more upgrades, having said that I want a retailer near me. Never been inside a Cost Co.

Any thoughts would be great. TIA

If you haven't been inside a Costco then how do you know you want the system they carry? If you had ever been in a Costco, or a Sam's Club, you'd know that the folks who help you in the electronics department don't know much about electronics - if they did, they wouldn't be working at Costco or Sam's club.

Instant gratification of getting to walk out with a surveillance system and take it home to install is good but the only benefit you get of a retailer near you is that your credit card gets credited a few days more quickly in a return than if you return to Amazon.

I suggest reading around here, posting questions about what your real surveillance requirements are, and looking for equipment that people can tell you from experience they would meet your expectations and actual requirements.

It always cracks me up when the TV news shows video of someone who robbed a convenience store and all we see is blur because the convenience store owner thought he would save a little money by purchasing a kit from Costco or Sam's club.

If you haven't been inside a Costco then how do you know you want the system they carry? If you had ever been in a Costco, or a Sam's Club, you'd know that the folks who help you in the electronics department don't know much about electronics - if they did, they wouldn't be working at Costco or Sam's club.

Instant gratification of getting to walk out with a surveillance system and take it home to install is good but the only benefit you get of a retailer near you is that your credit card gets credited a few days more quickly in a return than if you return to Amazon.

It always cracks me up when the TV news shows video of someone who robbed a convenience store and all we see is blur because the convenience store owner thought he would save a little money by purchasing a kit from Costco or Sam's club.

Offtopic:

You know I think the first alinea is a bit rude for the people working in the retail (since this problem is not only Costco related), since there exist definitely some people that have knowledge about some products if you are asking the right person (which can be difficult, I have to admit). Well if you sell 10.000 products it will be difficult to know all the ins and outs of your products. But besides that walking in a shop, return the goods and get the money directly back is easier than shipping the goods back at Amazon (hoping it's not lost in transit), waiting couple days before it's confirmed, wait another X days before the money is refunded on your account (except when they think the box is too damaged and are charging you for user damage).

And the problem with convenience stores is that they had invested a lot of money in their ANALOG CCTV system 10~15 years ago (which was state of art at that time...) and don't consider to upgrade to the latest technology. Well after being robbed, the incentive is a lot bigger to upgrade it.

Costco has some great systems . You just have to differentiate between the junk and the good stuff..They dont usually have the good ip systems at the store, you need to order online.

The swann systems are hikvision rebrands and pretty solid. There is a lot more value in costco than amazon..with costco you can literally return the system at anytime...five years later...try returning to amazon after a couple of months....

The Avertx is not a bad system particularly because it has the motorized varifocal and SD card slots you are looking for.

You will be able to build your own system for less, but it wont be plug and play...your return/warranty if any will be limited...its all a matter of what you want to hassle with.

If you like the specs it cannot hurt...give it a shot, worst case pack it up and return it.

I visited CostCo.ca online. There I viewed the surveillance items they carried. Sam's Club was a failed venture by Wal-Mart in Canada.

Maybe I am just a bit of a dinosaur that way, I like real estate locations for somethings. Can you return things to Amazon's distribution centre? I can walk from my house to it.

I suggest reading around here, posting questions about what your real surveillance requirements are, and looking for equipment that people can tell you from experience they would meet your expectations and actual requirements.

I have been reading, posting, and learning. My expectations far exceed my needs, and it is for that reason I continue to try to find a balance. At this point I'm pretty sure I can pick cameras and a NVR today if I wanted. I do like to consider the little things. For example, I have bullet cameras right now, and spiders love spinning webs in front of the lens and sleeping under the sun shade; will a dome camera solve such an issue, or fit in the same place effectively?

I laugh at that too, but I have seen worse. Working as a manager for a large company I've seen CCTV used totally wrong. Everything from a blurry still, photocopied, blown up, then FAXed to me. Often it would be of what was said to be a person; sometimes it would include a get away blob too! Most recently I got colour e-mail pics, taken on a mobile device of the CCTV screen. I'm sure I'll get an e-mailed picture sent one day followed by a second e-mail saying "oops, i sent the wrong photo, the first one was of my daughter in her school play."