goodolick

Would this be a good interim solution?

I am on the fence on if I am going to be moving in the next 2 years and would probably sell my CCTV system with my house. My current system is a Defender DVR with 8 analog 700+ TVL cameras. I really want to add more cameras and higher quality ones, but have a limited budget.

This HDCVI hybrid is within my budget and would allow for rapid expansion of additional HD cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/TMEZON-Realtime-Recording-Standalone-Recorder/dp/B00MGKXNF6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421544624&sr=8-4&keywords=hdcvi+16

I also like the fact that I could leverage my existing cables without having to pull new ones.

Being that I am unsure if I am going to sell my house for a while, would it be benificial for me to upgrade to HDCVI or just wait a year or 2 until the IP system I really want is in my budget?

When I go IP I plan on going top of the line.

So, is HDCVI a gimmick, or is it a huge upgrade over D1?

I also like the fact that I could leverage my existing cables without having to pull new ones.

Being that I am unsure if I am going to sell my house for a while, would it be benificial for me to upgrade to HDCVI or just wait a year or 2 until the IP system I really want is in my budget?

I believe when it comes to anything tech it is almost always best to only buy what you need, as you need it. The DVR you mentioned is a 16CH, no HDD, Hybrid. Here is what I would think about:

If not using IP cameras now, and don't want to run CAT5e, why bother with a hybrid?

If you are keeping the old DVR, do you need 16CH?

If you are using to HDD from the old system in the new system, remember if you double the cameras the saved recorded time will be cut in about half, and higher res would make the saved record time even less.

Any CCTV system you buy will likely do anything for the sale of the property. Most people don't know anything about these systems It would likely be listed as "a CCTV security camera system". Detailed info would likely tell the buyer the number of cameras, you can see them via the 'net, and that they record. So a quality, feature rich system, isn't worth it to sell a home.

When I go IP I plan on going top of the line.

So, is HDCVI a gimmick, or is it a huge upgrade over D1?

If you want more cameras now, I suggest buying a system much like the one you have now. Another 8CH DVR, and use it along side your current one. If you pick higher res cameras (960TVL?) hook those up where you want better images, and move the 700TVL to other places.

To keep using your TV to view both DVR buy a switch for the video. These switches are pretty cheap http://www.amazon.com/3-In-1-Composite-Selector-Switch-DPNY/dp/B004ZH62PQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421555240&sr=8-2&keywords=TV+switch

or for HDMI http://www.amazon.com/PORTTA-PET0301S-Switcher-Supports-Wireless/dp/B00B46XUQU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1421555338&sr=8-6&keywords=TV+HDMI+switch

HDCVI is a way to improve quality without running new cables. It lets you avoid the need to know about IP networking too. It is not going to give you anything close to digital though. I feel it life span is a short one and IP cameras will push it out quickly.

I recall something like this with computers years ago. the old ISA bus was being phased out, and the new VESA bus was coming in, but then PCI came out. ISA was still needed, VESA was popular, but everyone wanted PCI. For a few months computer main boards called VIP sold (VIP boards had all three buses on them). It wasn't a gimmick, but it wasn't to last either, just an easy way to upgrade without ditching your older stuff.

No matter what root you go consider this:

When you run cables for the additional cameras, maybe run CAT5e (or CAT6) at the same time.

With the Hybrid DVR you could choose to get an IP camera to learn, before you buy a high end system.

In closing (finally?), I see these options for you:

1. Get the DVR you mentioned and go with the plan you've considered.

2. Buy a second DVR like the one you have (or something close to it), and run two DVRs with a switch.

3. Get a budget wise IP NVR and run it along side your current DVR.

4. Save all your cash for the IP based system you really want (aka, get nothing now).

I like number 2. and running the cable and CAT5e to new camera locations.

I was right where you are no so long ago. For me snaking Cat5e wires or RG6 will be simple as I put empty conduits in along side the one I was using.

BTW, I've picked option 4 for now.

I hope all this hasn't made you choice harder.

Hi thanks for the input.

I work in network security so I am sure using the IP cameras will be a snap for me. I was wanting to get a 16 channel as I did not want to have to fumble through 2 different DVRs to check my footage, but really a second DVR would not be a big deal.

I appreciate your ISA/PCI analogy, it really helped put things in perspective. I think I will just save up for my IP system. Hard drive space is not an issue for me.

I dont know why I am being stubborn. when I am ready to switch to IP, in theory making the runs should be pretty easy... tape the cat5 to the bnc cable and pull it through.

In any case, your advise has helped a lot with my decision.

J