livetofly

need help to compare two quotes

Hi, I have two different quotes for a CCTV system for my house (external, front and rear) but I can't compare them.

1) 4 cameras: External Static Day Night Vandal Resistant Dome with built in IR LED’s with a range of 20 meters and having a resolution of 700 TVL equipped with a 4.9mm 12mm varifocal lens. 8 channel Digital recorder with 1TB recording. 19’’ VGA Monitor.

2) 5 cameras: HSMD1080VF Day/Night colour open dome camera complete with 1080p 2 megapixel and 30 metre infrared illumination, minimum illumination of 0.01 lux. Lens: Vari-Focal 2.8-12mm 2.1 megapixel Panasonic sensor. Hikvision DS-7208HFHI-SE 8 Channel 4TB DVR recorder. 20” LCD monitor.

Quote 1) is cheaper than 2). It's not just a matter of price I suppose, but also getting the most appropriate and reliable equipment? Your advice would be very appreciated. Thanks. L

The difference between standard definition (1) and high definition (2) is often summed up by end users .

Standard - "I thought it would look better than that"

High Def - "Wow, that looks great"

Go with number 2 assuming other factors not mentioned are similar.

Edited by Guest

Your second quote is for an HDSDI system. HDSDI is painfully hit or miss. It's either going to make your first quote look laughable, or it's barely going to function. You may want to try and find some public opinion on how well that SDI equipment works.

Any reason for them not quoting you an IP system? It's the same, if not better, equipment in comparison to SDI and you also don't have to worry about whether or not its going to work.

Hi need2shave, you were right about quote (1), it says 'analogue Closed Circuit Television System' in another part of the document " title="Applause" />

Hi Don, there isn't a particular reason for them not quoting me an IP system, I asked their advice because I am not competent and this is what they recommended. I have asked a quote from another company, let's see if they come up with an IP system, otherwise I will ask for it. Thanks.

By the way, quote (1) is Eur 1,250 and quote (2) is Eur 2,350. None has given the best spec, but who has offered the best value?

Hi, I have got the third and last quote:

quote (3): 5 cameras XED28V12DN1M3IR and the DVR is XDR5C04-500.

Is it an analogue system again? I read 'analogue' in the cameras brochure, but I just wanted to make sure?

Are you able to tell what's the best between system between quotation (1) and (3), the two analogue systems? Just to understand who's the best fitter?

Thanks.

Hi, I have got the third and last quote:

quote (3): 5 cameras XED28V12DN1M3IR and the DVR is XDR5C04-500.

Is it an analogue system again? I read 'analogue' in the cameras brochure, but I just wanted to make sure?

Are you able to tell what's the best between system between quotation (1) and (3), the two analogue systems? Just to understand who's the best fitter?

Thanks.

Why don't you install it self? Installing and configuring isn't that hard, and you can pick your own cameras. The down side is that you don't have warranty or something like that.

Buy on Aliexpress amazon.com:

5* Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I: 5*80=400 euros >> 5*120dollar = 600 dollar

1* Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P: 300 euros (8 channels, but includes 4 POE ports) >>400dollar

VAT and Duties: +/- 200 euros >> 0 dollar

Buy in your own country:

305m Cat5e network cable Real Copper: +/- 90-120 euros

RJ45 Tool: 20 euros

RJ45 plugs: 10 euros

RJ45 test tool: 10 euros

12V power adapter for the 5th camera: 15 euros

Harddisk 2TB: 100 euros

LCD screen: use a old pc screen or buy an old one in a second hand store +/-50 euros

Mouse: See above +/- 10 euros

Other aesthetic small costs: 200 euros

So in total around 1450 euros. You only have to sacrifice 3 days or shorter of your life to install the cameras and the cables (please test the network cables after crimping them). Then you have the ever learning process to configure the NVR and the cameras, which can take 2 days. This system is much better than an analog system.

If you still have money in the pocket, buy an cheap Hikvison PTZ for around 800 euros .

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your advice unix1992.

It actually came to my mind that, rather than paying a fortune for an installed analogue system, I could get one or to wireless cameras and install them myself.

My DIY and IT competence doesn't allow me to install a complicated system, I would need something easy, like 'plug and play' type? Any advice on make/model is very welcome.

Well, wired cable is always preferred over wireless signal, since 'modern/smart' thieves can jam the wifi signal. Furthermore wifi is signal more fluctuated by external noises and can drop signal sometimes since the 2.4 GHz spectrum is 'full'? If you want to do all the cameras wireless, you have to be sure that your wifi signal is good enough, so check the places where you want to install your wireless IP cameras with Wifi analyzer on Android or an equivalent app. The signal is preferred to be around 55~65dB. Otherwise your camera may drop the signal due to external sources.

But, what is your budget and how much quality do you want from the images? Are 1MP cameras good enough are do you want 3MP cameras? Do you want a 'brand' or a 'private label/no brand'?

The best price/quality NVR + cameras are the Hikvision mentioned in previous post as there are a lot of goods reviews here on this forum and on the internet. Furthermore, on these cameras the motion detection is working.

Second best brand is to have equipment from Dahua, when I read some topics on here.

Well, if you really want to go cheap you can buy the mini nvr (see topic on the other subforum). This system will work, but don't expect some fancy features like motion detection (since this is very limited to some brands). Because of that, the mini nvr is mostly used to record continuously 24/7.

The mini NVR (8 channel, 2MP at most) can be bought around 35~40 euros, well there is upgraded version MINI NVR 2 which supports cameras higher than 2MP 45~50 euros. You can buy wireless cameras on Aliexpress (search for onvif, and sort on total orders) for around 40~50 euros each (don't expect superb quality, well it's better than analog (look for OV9712 on youtube for a first impression). You need to have an external Harddrive to record your footage on. Furthermore, it is recommended to replace the power adapters of the NVR and the cameras and purchase these in your own country (or you can reuse old adapters (12V, 1~2A and 5.5mm by 2.1mm)), since the included adapters of unknown brands can be tricky. So 250 euros for the cameras, 50 euros for the mini NVR, a provision of 100 euros in case of VAT and Duties, 50 euros for 'good' power adapters and 90 euros for a 2TB external HDD. So in total around 600 euros including a LCD screen.

If you want to protect high value stuff or to use it in a company, it is recommended to ask a professional or to buy 'brand' equipment. In that case it is, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Well, if you know how to forward ports on your router/modem, configuring the NVR and cameras is very simple, since in most cases the cameras are automatically found by the NVR.

Do not even contemplate wireless...end of story..it must be wired...

If you want to self install, pay someone to run quality ethernet cable and terminate

Ok thanks guys, I will ask someone to run a ethernet cable for me. Is a CAT5 cable okay or do I need to ask anything else in particular?

So the camera cable plugs in the back of the NVR and the NVR plugs to the house modem/router - is that correct or do I need to set up a network or anything?

Thanks unix1992 for the model numbers, I am happy with the Hikvision system that you've suggested.

Ok thanks guys, I will ask someone to run a ethernet cable for me. Is a CAT5 cable okay or do I need to ask anything else in particular?

So the camera cable plugs in the back of the NVR and the NVR plugs to the house modem/router - is that correct or do I need to set up a network or anything?

Thanks unix1992 for the model numbers, I am happy with the Hikvision system that you've suggested.

Well, it's preferred to use cat6 as cable since this is futureproof. But cat5e will also be sufficient, I think. Be aware that cheap network cables are copper cladded aluminium (cca) and not real 100% copper, so please look for the last one and ask the seller specific for real copper and avoid cca. On the internet there are some tests to discover cca cables.

Look in the manual of the nvr, how you have to configure the system.

You only need Cat5e, but Cat6 would be better for future proofing as unix explained. As it's also been brought up, run solid copper or nothing at all.

Buy your own cable so you don't get taken to the cleaners. Monoprice would be a good place to start shopping (www.monoprice.com). They have pretty competitive pricing and only sell solid copper.