jbaugh

Hikvision can't be viewed after upgrade of router

I need some advice on how to proceed. My Hikvision security camera has been working very well for the past year. It was connected to my computer via a Linksys router with an ip address of 192.168.1.67.

Unfortunately I had to replace my router. The new router can not "see" the Hikvision camera. I think this is because the new router uses a different internal ip address system. IP addresses are in the form of "192.168.10.xxx" instead of the old "192.168.1.xxx" form. I have been unable to figure out how to change the camera's ip address to be viewable on the new router. The SADP app in Windows does not recognize the camera. The IVMS 4200 app on my Mac does not see the camera.

I was able to reconnect my old router (the one with the 192.168.1.xx addresses) and I have no trouble viewing the camera and opening the web configuration pages. I see that there is a way to change the ip address inside the configuration tab. I'm wondering if this is safe to do. I'm afraid that if I change the ip address to something in the new router's range (192.168.10.xxx) that I might lose all connection with the camera altogether. If that happens how do I recover the ability to connect to the camera?

Can I simply go into the configuration tab and reset the ip address, subnet mask, and gateway address and reboot the camera?

Thanks for any encouragement or suggestions

You have a few options here.

1st. Option

You can go into your routers settings and change the IP address of the router back to 192.168.1.1 and set the starting IP address to 192.168.1.100. But once you set the IP of the router to 192.168.1.1, it will automatically start the IPs at .100+ . If you have the newest GUI of the Linksys, you should be able to go to Connectivity--> Local Internet and change the Routers IP to 192.168.1.1.

2nd Option.

Connect the NVR/DVR back to the old router, log into the NVR/DVR and set the IP to DHCP so it can pick up an IP that the Router gives. Or just Connect it the old router and change the IP to a static one that is 192.168.10.x and then unplug it and plug it back in the new router and try to log into it with the new IP you just gave it.

Option 1 is probably going to be your easiest and quickest way of going.

If still having issues, i can teamviewer in and set it up for you.

abdelm01

Thank you for your concise but specific recommendations.

I decided to go with option 3– I reconnected the old router and was able to easily change the camera ip to one compatible with the new router using a static address. I held my breath anxiously until I had re-connected the new router and confirmed that I could see and communicate with the camera. All went well.

Now, as an aside, I will tell you why I was so anxious in doing this. The whole reason I needed the new router in the first place is that I had just bricked my perfectly fine Asus RT-N16 router trying to update the Tomato firmware. I struggled with it for two days unsuccessfully trying to recover it to a usable state. The idea of doing the same thing to my Hikvision camera haunted me.

John