Sign in to follow this  
C4talyst

Need HD/WDR/Outdoor Camera Recommendation

Hello,

A friend owns a restaurant here in Virginia with a great vantage point on the Potomac River. He has an outdoor camera that we've been using for a webcam for some time, but we'd like to put in something nicer that can cover events and sunrises with better image quality. I'm hoping someone here can give me recommendations for a new camera that will meet the following requirements:

1) WDR - Our top priority is being able to view the stunning sunrises that this location has every day. Will a WDR camera fit the bill here? If questionable, are there filters or other solutions we can consider to get a great sunrise image?

2) Outdoor use; IP/Megapixel camera with POE.

3) HD Image - The feed may be used by local news outlets from time to time, and we need an excellent HD image.

4) Budget in the $500-$1000 range...if possible.

I really appreciate any input; thanks!

I like the small outside version of axis F series with wdr. and wdr dynamic capture. Note that this camera is not a night camera. But in real life It works great in low light condisions.

I have a analog looking also at harpers ferry 5 years old ... Also needs updating

A guy on the forum ssnapier is not far from you Hagerstown.

Might be worth talking with him

What exactly do you consider to be an "excellent HD image"? How many megapixels?

What style of camera? Dome, bullet, box...

Do you want a wide angle of view, or something that can zoom in?

P.S. - I don't know how much the camera is going to like you for pointing it into the sun. WDR is not a feature that's going to protect the sensor from a sun induced burn out.