Sign in to follow this  
maxhighlife

Suggestions on IP system $2000 budget

I'm looking to upgrade my lorex junk with a IP system. I will install it myself, I would like to have a 16ch "NVR" I think, starting with 8 outside cameras with the best night clarity possible that fits in the budget. I will add more in the future.

I'm an open slate I have not purchased anything yet.

What suggestion do you guys have Thanks

I'm looking to upgrade my lorex junk with a IP system. I will install it myself, I would like to have a 16ch "NVR" I think, starting with 8 outside cameras with the best night clarity possible that fits in the budget. I will add more in the future.

I'm an open slate I have not purchased anything yet.

What suggestion do you guys have Thanks

As taken from the other post

Buy on Aliexpress:

8* Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I: 8*80=640 euros

1* Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P: 350 euros (16 channels, but includes 8 POE ports)

VAT and Duties: +/- 300 euros??? (see US legislation about importing)

Buy in your own country:

305m Cat5e network cable Real Copper: +/- 90-120 euros

RJ45 Tool: 20 euros

RJ45 plugs: 10 euros

RJ45 test tool: 10 euros

Harddisk 2TB: 100 euros

LCD screen: use a old pc screen or buy an old one in a second hand store +/-50 euros

Mouse: See above +/- 10 euros

Other aesthetic small costs: 200 euros

So in total 1825 euro ~ 2060 dollar

That is expensive .... No warranty and built with second hand bits

Just point out that's nearly $4.000

Take a look at dahua in your country will be cheaper

Everyone is going to recommend Hikvision and/or Dahua in one form or another. Just start looking into those two.

As far as where to buy from, everyone usually pushes Aliexpress or Amazon.

That is expensive .... No warranty and built with second hand bits

Just point out that's nearly $4.000

Take a look at dahua in your country will be cheaper

With the exception of the LCD screen and the mouse, everything else is 'new' (maybe he already has a old screen and a mouse). And 2060 dollar is near 4000 dollar.... The currency from Euro to Dollar is around 1.13 at the moment.

Taking amazon.com (assuming the topic starter lives in USA) prices it would be, 8*120dollar (cameras)+ 450 dollar (NVR), so together around 1420 dollars. So the conclusion is, buy the cameras and the NVR at Amazon. The 16Ch Dahua NVR is only 150 dollar cheaper, but is louder when reading the reviews on amazon.com. The prices of the cameras of hikvision and Dahua are almost the same (+/- 120 dollar), so on that point there is no difference.

So the amazon.com picture would be:

Buy on Amazon:

8* Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I: 8*120=960 dollar

1* Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P: 450 dollar (16 channels, but includes 8 POE ports)

No VAT or duties

Cable Matters In-Wall Rated (CM) Cat6 Ethernet Cable in Blue 1000: 150 dollar

TRENDnet 8P/RJ-45 and 6P/RJ-12: 15 dollar

Bluecell 50 pcs Metallic Shielded RJ45 Plug: 8 dollar

Pyle Home PHCT45 Network Cable Tester: 13 dollar

WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 95dollar

Logitech B100-TAA Optical USB Mouse: 9 dollar

Other aesthetic small costs: 200 dollar or LOWER

LCD screen: use a old lcd screen or buy an old one in a second hand store +/-80 dollar or buy new. Or even better use the first time your PC screen and for the other times use your laptop and access it by using the internal network.

So in total 1980 dollar.... So everything brandnew with USA warranty, with the exception of the LCD screen. But wait buy a 150 dollar new Dell E2314H 23-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor and that brings the total to 2050 dollar. Everything brandnew and with the warranty from Amazon.com.

I am very happy to see you included a cable tester on that list. I can't tell you how many times I've pleaded with people to spend the extra $10-$15 to get one of those (especially with cat5e/cat6 cable). It is more than worth the money.

How do I compare what the Nvr is capable of recording

like now I have 16 cameras 540 tlv 15 fps 4 cif

I would like to be capable of 16 cams @ 15Fps and Fully utilizing the 2 or 3mp camera

Would I compare the incoming bandwith?

on the NVR?? Thanks

It is still too expensive

And have you tried and seen how much it is to send stuff back from USA

AND no you don't get warranty from Amazon

But also being in usa dahua would be a cheaper and better option

Hikvision just in last few months have put prices up

It is still too expensive

And have you tried and seen how much it is to send stuff back from USA

AND no you don't get warranty from Amazon

But also being in usa dahua would be a cheaper and better option

Hikvision just in last few months have put prices up

It is still too expensive >> How do mean expensive: in the sense that Hikvision is overpriced? The budget from the topic starter is around 2000 dollar... and he asks for the best equipment at this price level. Well, including sales tax the prices would slightly increase...

And have you tried and seen how much it is to send stuff back from USA >>> ??? buying from amazon.com, sending it back to Amazon USA, since most of these items are fullfilled by Amazon itself. Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items.

See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=106096011

AND no you don't get warranty from Amazon >> Well 1 year limited warranty from the third party seller, just like every other shop in the USA... Furthermore, which shop (with excellent service) do you recommend instead of complaining about amazon.com?

But also being in usa dahua would be a cheaper and better option >> Please, help us find a shop in which IPC-HFW4300SN is cheaper than HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP. Both POE 3MP cameras.

Amazon prices compared to the supplier of http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

Dahua IPC-HFW4300S 3MP (review: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2041):

Amazon.com: $121 & FREE Shipping (excluding sales tax)

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/: 159.99 dollar (excluding sales tax??)

HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP (review: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791):

Amazon.com: $119 & FREE Shipping (excluding sales tax)

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/: $145.99 (excluding sales tax??)

Even including a sales tax of 10% the prices of Amazon are cheaper. But wait, the Hikvision is still 1 dollar cheaper than the Dahua. Not everyone can buy the cameras at cost price....

Hikvision just in last few months have put prices up >> Demand and Supply, more demand leads to higher prices at equal supply. But you have to blame the retailers/distributors for puttings the prices up... Furthermore costs of shipping and manufacturing costs of goods have been risen due to currency fluctuations.

As we have seen above: The cameras of Hikvision and Dahua don't differ much in price (or tomcctv knows a shop with cheaper Dahua cameras).

Furthermore, this part is equal for both Dahua and Hikvision equipment assuming that you want to use quality cables... you can buy it at an other store or even use cheaper material, but for the comparision between Dahua and Hikvision it is irrelevant.

Cable Matters In-Wall Rated (CM) Cat6 Ethernet Cable in Blue 1000: 150 dollar

TRENDnet 8P/RJ-45 and 6P/RJ-12: 15 dollar

Bluecell 50 pcs Metallic Shielded RJ45 Plug: 8 dollar

Pyle Home PHCT45 Network Cable Tester: 13 dollar

WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 95dollar

Logitech B100-TAA Optical USB Mouse: 9 dollar

Other aesthetic small costs: 200 dollar or LOWER

So the only big difference in costs is buying the NVR (http://www.amazon.com prices).

Dahua NVR4216-8P: 300 dollar

HIKVISION DS-7616NI-SE/P: 444 dollar

Conclusion, if you want to have Dahua POE equipment you are 144 dollar cheaper than if you would buy Hikvision POE equipment...

@ topic starter, Dahua and Hikvision are both recommended. Please look for reviews (http://www.networkcameracritic.com/) about both the cameras, since these parts are the most important things for the quality of the images. Or read this reddit:

and this about warranty: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43929

@ tomcctv: Instead of bashing Hikvision, aliexpress and amazon, you could help the topic starter in deciding about the NVR system. Give arguments why Dahua is better than Hikvision, instead of giving one liners like 'overpriced' and 'no warranty'. Give then examples that Hikvision is overpriced compared to Dahua and give the topic starter advice where he should buy Dahua equipment in the USA. I think he/she would appreciate that when looking for a webshop/offline retailer to buy the stuff. Lorex equipment is sold in USA or Canada, so topic starter is living in one of those countries.

Am not bashing hikvision I use it along with other brands

Let's look at your crap Amazon warranty ONE YEAR

HILVISION HAS 3 as standard

So buy from Amazon you loose two years

And link you sent to camera critic is crap he is sponsored by the company you linked for camera sales

My problem is price from Amazon and eBay people ..... And sorry this is a forum and advice for new people buying need to be made aware of over price and warranty problems

SO NO I DID NOT BASH OR SAY DONT BUY

READ my post I said expensive.

Hikvision nvr Poe 8 and 8 3mp cameras from Europe $1.200 ship

Also Swann (hik) at Costco is cheaper than Amazon

Now let's look at forum and buying from Amazon ..... Last few months with China imports

Wrong language is main problem firmware is another and as you can see from posts it is a problem for some people

Am not bashing hikvision I use it along with other brands

Let's look at your crap Amazon warranty ONE YEAR

HILVISION HAS 3 as standard

So buy from Amazon you loose two years

And link you sent to camera critic is crap he is sponsored by the company you linked for camera sales

My problem is price from Amazon and eBay people ..... And sorry this is a forum and advice for new people buying need to be made aware of over price and warranty problems

SO NO I DID NOT BASH OR SAY DONT BUY

READ my post I said expensive.

Hikvision nvr Poe 8 and 8 3mp cameras from Europe $1.200 ship

Also Swann (hik) at Costco is cheaper than Amazon

Now let's look at forum and buying from Amazon ..... Last few months with China imports

Wrong language is main problem firmware is another and as you can see from posts it is a problem for some people

Well if you had written that earlier.... So you are right topic starter is better off buying Swann equipment since it's a rebranded hikvision. Well camera critic is only usefull for the review part since there are not a lot of sites which provide a extensive test about interface and picture quality from different brands. Well it's always better to find user reviews of the cameras. You never mentioned the word 'Europe' in your posts...

Well the problem with the interface is that people are forgetting that they don't have to upgrade their firmware when everything is working. But I think it's human nature (and indirectly you are paying for support/upgrades/updates) to install the 'newest' update on your devices. Don't fix things that are not broken?

I did not mention Europe only because you had already done quotes in euro .

And if you think updates are not needed if not broken

On a NVR updates will keep systems up to date

Even a NVR and same brand camera will need a update or at least a upgrade patch otherwise the system is out of date in a year.

Also which has come to light is 3rd party software to change language on cameras or NVRs from China ...... It does not change the watermark or electronic signature so footage can't be verified

I did not mention Europe only because you had already done quotes in euro .

And if you think updates are not needed if not broken

On a NVR updates will keep systems up to date

Even a NVR and same brand camera will need a update or at least a upgrade patch otherwise the system is out of date in a year.

That euro was because I copy paste it from that other topic, in which the TS is from Europe.

Also which has come to light is 3rd party software to change language on cameras or NVRs from China ...... It does not change the watermark or electronic signature so footage can't be verified

You do know we are posting this in the ''Residential CCTV'' subforum, the 'normal' consumers with average knowledge and not enterprise or on business level? Furthermore, at one point the manufacturer will stop to give 'product' support to their product (just like Hikvision, Dahua and 'other brand') when the products have reached end-of-life status. For the consumer it doesn't matter to have the latest update on their devices. Especially since a cctv system is only used for observerating your home and only in case of burglary or an other incident you are checking the footage.

seams that I have sparked some debate could some advise me on How do I compare what the NVR is capable of recording

3M = 12Mbps X16 cameras 192Mbps

should I look for record rate of 200 Mbps

and inbound bandwidth of 200Mbps

like the DH-NVR4216-8p??

what really matters in getting the best recorded video, Thanks

Yes think I am aware this is residential section.

But I think your wrong about updates and firmware.

Even if it's a self install or company install updates are needed.

Let's say to keep simple you buy a system now and you use windows 8 for pc view

And next year you buy a new pc or laptop and its windows 10 BUT you can't view your cctv system anymore

Same with updated iPhone or android apps and windows smart

Why buy from a place you don't get support or updates...... So I stand by what I said about Amazon and eBay purchases

It's like the post on here other week ........guy buys from a China site ....... Hybrid with spot monitor out which he wanted ...... VGA and HDMI was ok but spot was PAL ....... No good for America bet he wished he could get support and software

seams that I have sparked some debate could some advise me on How do I compare what the NVR is capable of recording

3M = 12Mbps X16 cameras 192Mbps

should I look for record rate of 200 Mbps

and inbound bandwidth of 200Mbps

like the DH-NVR4216-8p??

what really matters in getting the best recorded video, Thanks

Yes that NVR will do what you want

200mbps is the max of the recorder at its max run.

But if you config each camera for its location you should not get to its limit ...... Motion detect in some locations is one way other is some new Dahua cameras are comming out with smart set which can also be found on other cameras like avermedia were you set 3mp for day and set 1mp for night..... Or smart detect in day constant record at 1mp till motion detect then it switches to 3mp ( saves storage space)

Yes think I am aware this is residential section.

But I think your wrong about updates and firmware.

Even if it's a self install or company install updates are needed.

Let's say to keep simple you buy a system now and you use windows 8 for pc view

And next year you buy a new pc or laptop and its windows 10 BUT you can't view your cctv system anymore

Same with updated iPhone or android apps and windows smart

Why buy from a place you don't get support or updates...... So I stand by what I said about Amazon and eBay purchases

It's like the post on here other week ........guy buys from a China site ....... Hybrid with spot monitor out which he wanted ...... VGA and HDMI was ok but spot was PAL ....... No good for America bet he wished he could get support and software

Well, luckily you always have compatibility mode when using internet explorer (besides the new included Spartan browser) for Windows 10. Since microsoft is also providing IE for legacy applications. But I do get your point that it would be useful to get updates to have the best fit between the devices and software. But I think in some cases it is not neccesary, since some people are just fine with the old. Like Windows 7 is fantastic compared to Windows 8 because to the start button in 8 has been removed... or that IOS 7 is responding quicker when looking at performance at older devices (iphone 4, 4s, 5) than IOS8. But as in your thinking Windows Vista was in the beginning horrible, but eventually got better when there were more updates done by microsoft. And Android is just worthless when looking at updates, only the high-end models of the brands have the honor to get software support for 1.5 years, while the mid-end and low-end are doomed to be on the same android version as purchased.

But luckily, some manufacturers are providing world wide warranty or don't make a distinction between the different continents. Well, can't blame the manufacturer that there are price differences between countries so companies are having the opportunity to buy cheap in Country A and sell expensive in Country B.

Well that post about PAL, that is just a stupid mistake due to lack of knowledge of the buyer (and also the seller is guilty for sending PAL to USA...). Can't make anything else of it. It isn't recommended for novice buyers to buy something 'expensive' without the proper knowledge. Just like buying 230V adapters, while you need 110V, or plugging 12V in 5V DC connection since the size of the adapter is the same...

But at the end, I hope always that the products will work and that you don't have to contact the customer service due to a faulty product. Some people have luck and other just bad luck when using electronic products.

But luckily, some manufacturers are providing world wide warranty or don't make a distinction between the different continents. Well, can't blame the manufacturer that there are price differences between countries so companies are having the opportunity to buy cheap in Country A and sell expensive in Country B.

sorry but hikvision or dauha don't. infact the link you posted ,,,,,, no warranty from hikvision usa

Well that post about PAL, that is just a stupid mistake due to lack of knowledge of the buyer (and also the seller is guilty for sending PAL to USA...). Can't make anything else of it. It isn't recommended for novice buyers to buy something 'expensive' without the proper knowledge

not DIYers fault, would of been much better if seller just looked at postal address,,,,,, un autherised seller like amazon are only interested in one thing ,,, your credit card number

my first point was the amazon prices at start of post was too high ...... followed buy don't pay high and not have any warranty.

and its also best to understand the likes of amazon ,,, alliexpress ,,,, newegg have no support or warranty from hikvision its only with the seller

sorry but hikvision or dauha don't. infact the link you posted ,,,,,, no warranty from hikvision usa

Was mentioning 'other' brands like Apple and such (well they selling in different product groups), I already know by now that Dahua and Hikvision are protecting their markets/retailers... just like some other manufacturers.

Ultimately, you still have the option to go to your supplier for support and complaints. The outcome will be different, since all the sellers are unique in the way they threat their customer. Earning fast money or willing to help the customer to find a proper solution. Well, it's the freedom of the consumer to have the choice where to buy their goods/products at cheapest cost or for the best service.

Besides that, sometimes you have to put it in the comments when ordering on Aliepress, whether you need Pal or NTSC when ordering monitors or video equipment. But you are right that most sellers automatically (should) check the shipping address.

I hate to be the first one - maybe I'm not; I haven't looked at page 2 yet - to recommend not buying Hikvision or Dahua but I'm going to make that recommendation anyway.

Those companies advertise better warranties but the warranty is not serviced by Hikvision or Dahua directly; neither company will honor the warranty from you. You must go through your reseller and the reseller must be an authorized reseller in order to get any warranty at all. Yes, you might get 3 years of warranty but you might not get any warranty at all.

Another downside of Dahua and Hikvision is that they do not support using their products in other NVR systems other than their own. They'd like to lock you in to their systems, once you choose one or the other.

Both of these issues aren't necessarily bad - buy from a reputable dealer and commit to single-sourcing your system. The only problem is that you're going to pay more for your system. On the other hand, the prices for Hikvision and Dahua have both dropped significantly recently and they're not nearly as out of line from other vendors as they once were.

But when you consider the downsides of Dahua or Hikvision compared to buying from other reliable vendors, the value is not as clear as it might seem. I've had very good luck with cameras that use UC software - those are camera boards that I think are actually built by tpsee.com and packaged/configured/sold by many other vendors.

I think a bigger question than choosing between Dahua, Hikvision, or other vendor is to choose between doing it yourself versus paying a reputable company to put the system in.

What I found in having put together my own system is that support is mixed from most online vendors and you will find yourself being your own primary support team. You'll spend a lot of time on Google and here in these forums searching and looking for help. When something is not working then you have either a limited or possibly no surveillance system until you can find answers in a forum or order in a replacement part - and hope it fixes the problem.

If you call a local company they will likely have expert level experience in a small number of camera brands. They may not have the brand you think you want but they'll be experts at configuring the brands they have. They'll have spare parts on hand and have time and energy to fix your issues when you may not have any of those things. If your video network switch fails are you stuck ordering from Amazon? Having many customers, they can justify keeping a couple on hand. If a key camera fails you have to wait for someone to ship you one - perhaps on a slow boat from China - as both reality and the saying go. Your local vendor will likely have a few on hand and can get you going in a hurry.

I've found that I am spending a ton of time playing with, experimenting with, and working on my surveillance system. Luckily, I love working with electronics and computers so it is fun for me but any time I am doing those things then my security system is not doing what I need it to do; it's providing me entertainment rather than security.

I don't work for a security company and I am not trying to sway you from doing it yourself; I'm simply laying out the considerations. If you want a reliable, simple, effortless security system, call a reliable local vendor to come put it in. If you want to play around with it, spend lots of time and money experimenting with things that don't work out - and with other things that do work out - then do it yourself.

How does all this tie into the Hikvision/Dahua versus cheap-China-import camera? It is simple: If you're taking on all the responsibility for support yourself or if you want to experiment, what's the value in Hikvision or Dahua? They will just limit your options. If you want the most reliable and dependable system and you think you will get it by purchasing Hikvision or Dahua online from China or the US, you are probably mistaken. The most reliable system will be whatever system your local surveillance companies can put in for you.

I'm pretty happy with my do-it-yourself system. I have several different styles of cameras, all chosen to meet the exact requirements where they are used. But was it worth the time and effort? Not from a security perspective.

Hello ...

My open thinking from my experience with ip cams and Nvrs.

For $2000 you can easy find a good compromise quality/pricing on DIY solution.

Regarding Cams: the future will be manufacturers like HIK. Why? Simple because Chineese gouvernment is rear and have majority actions of the company. So they can made the price they want in the market. Like Huawei for the IP/Telecom infra-structure who are growing these last years.

China is here and eating all markets, killing resellers, small and big video company, and don't forget: it's too late/machine is running and cannot be stopped.

In fact, there is not a lot of real true manufacturers in the world (other than historic ones (Sony/Pana/Pelco/Bosch/Samsung/etc...), but they began these last years to stop development and buy OEM products more and more).

Today, one biggest manufacturer (not known from public), but very active with a lot of brands is: DYNACOLOR. from $100a cam, you find it in EMEA for $600. This is a dream for some and nightmare for others.

They build for a lot of brandmarks, devellops specific enclosures with makeup to provide a big range of models.

A simple tour in a Security exhibition and you will see similar models with same pcbs Embedded in different booth. For some the enclosure was the same and just the model and name changed. But specs are the same: normal

So my conclusion : As today the standard live of an IP cam will be around 5 years, don't spend too much money on it.

Today, HIK 3MP cams models is one of the best compromise, regarding quality . With 2 Streams is enough to work= 1 for recording, the other one for live view.

And why 5 years ? simply because the actual cam will be "has been" in the next 2 years. Technology advances in expotential mode and the features in the next years will grow very quick = more features, better quality, better Lan management, but less expensive. Think about that: don't invest too much.

Now another point is the BW of an IP cam. Working on HD 1080p/25ips is the ideal mode. Why to go upper these values ? Maybe some specific fields where you need very high quality? for people recognition? OK, can be. But the relevant and usual bandwith turns around 4Mbps/6Mbps per camera. Going upper these values is something stupid and it doesn't provide real improvement. So let's say standard BW is around 4Mbps (This is what I personnally used as standard).

Don't forget more you go high and more your Lan can generate issues and of course issues with your NVR.

Now regarding NVRs. if some claims :200 Mbps, in fact this is the total Throughput the NVR can manage. Means this value consist in a total of (number of recording streams + number of live views + number of Playbacks).

Means for example if you record a single cam with 4 Mbps and you have 2 monitoring stations, and you made at same time a playback you will need 20 Mbps in the baddest case using Unicast mode.

IP streams management request CPU power and RAM. So never expect to get magical things with a cheap NVR. Or alternative solution is to use several Small NVRs 4 CH for example distribued. So again, consider 4096 Kbps per cam is relevant in such case. You can use VBR, but you will not win a lot. Only some specific cams in the market manages correctly the VBR (Variable Bitrate).

Finally what about NVRs?

My recommendation is more to go to a Software Only solution and install it on a dedicated PC as server. This will allow you to try several Softwares solution for free, decided who is better for your needs and the most important, the Software lives, upgrades are there most of the cases for free. and you can simply change your software in one or 2 years without replacing your original hardware investment.

Consider SW only have also a cost, but more flexible.

So Embedded NVRs are totally closed with minor firmware upgrades to correct bugs and open minor features. But this is still a closed box who will need to be replaced in few years to have benefits of new technology (H265 for example). With a SW on a dedicated PC/Server, you will need just to replace or upgrade the SW management.

My personal conclusion for a today request :$ 2000 investment or less :

- xxx Hikvision IP 3MP cams ($88) sorry for local ressellers if HIK sells to thirdparty distributons in China, it's their fault first of all: They play on both sides. So Money is the war. Warraty and region firmwares are bull****. For $88, if it fails, it fails, but this is HIK. Do you know the % of faillures

Not too much risk here. But take original HIK and not rebranded models...

- A good POE switch or indivudual POE injectors

- A good PC dedicated who will act as NVR and free to you to add the capacity of desired storage

But these are my thoughts and what I used since around 10 years now. I had the chance to get different cams in hands, make a lot of tests (specially with Onvif profiles), discuss with some manufacturers.

Personnally I replaced some cams on my system, used different SW but the base is still there and operational.

I'm just upgrading now with adding some Hikvision 3MP cams ($88) and this is perfect.

HIK is killing the Professional market with too agressive low princing with good quality products and probaly become one of the major actors in the market in the next years.

So avoid strange cams with stranges names, proprietary devices who only works with their NVR models.

Future is Onvif. RTSP is the last issue and open window to manage foreign cams with some Nvrs, but this in only Stream capture without benefits of extra features Embedded in the cams (motion detection for example/Audio, etc...).

Other way: the secure solution, find a good integrator near your location, trust on him. But a service have cost and needs to managed (maintenance, assistance on site, phone assistance, remote assistance, etc.).

Here, we can share our experience and provide some feedback. We can assist some issues and provide links to access downloads, etc...

Think about.