Sign in to follow this  
thebland

Purchase an NVR w/POE or NVR W/O POE and a switch?

I am having a system installed with a Speco cameras and NVR. I have the option of an 8 ch NVR w/POE and an 8 ch NVR without it and a switcher. I will be using 5 cameras. Price is similar for both options. The gear is Speco.

Which NVR type (Built-in POE vs none) gives best flexibility and most recommended?

BONUS QUESTION.

I saw the recommended cameras have SD CARD slots. What is the purpose of such in the presence of an NVR downstream?

I just worked on a speco 8 camera system and the cameras and NVR are part of the zipkit. System installed with no problem. Cameras were the 2 megapixel domes and they look fine in this particular application.

I guess I would use the speco with the POE. Cameras with the sd cards are so you can record right on the camera either for a backup to the NVR or to replace the nvr.

As long as the switch is a PoE switch, I always go with the separate switch. I only see disadvantages when I look at an NVR with a built in switch, but other people sometimes see it as an easier IP based installation.

There's really no right or wrong answer. In addition to being personal preference, knowledge base and the conditions of your installation can sometimes make the decision for you.

I just worked on a speco 8 camera system and the cameras and NVR are part of the zipkit. System installed with no problem. Cameras were the 2 megapixel domes and they look fine in this particular application.

I guess I would use the speco with the POE. Cameras with the sd cards are so you can record right on the camera either for a backup to the NVR or to replace the nvr.

As long as the switch is a PoE switch, I always go with the separate switch. I only see disadvantages when I look at an NVR with a built in switch, but other people sometimes see it as an easier IP based installation.

There's really no right or wrong answer. In addition to being personal preference, knowledge base and the conditions of your installation can sometimes make the decision for you.

Thanks guys. Got it. Will make sure it a POE switch.

As long as your POE switch supports the POE standard, as some old Cisco switches only support the Pre-standard. An external switch can be configured with QOS