Sign in to follow this  
John747

Issue with Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I and IR

Anyone else having issues with their Hikvision cameras in IR mode? I have 3 of the 2332's. At least two of them have an issue while in IR mode. The two with the issue are both 4mm the third is a 2.8. Over night I seem to be getting more recordings than can be accounted for by movement in the camera's view. After reviewing the recordings, many are tripped by what looks like an insect or bubble flying past the camera. Sometimes the bubble crosses the screen and other times it comes from the center and pass out to the edge. It wouldn't be such an issue except that it can trip several recordings an hour. One of the cameras is inside the other is out in the cold. Anyone else seen this? I got the camera from a seller in China on ebay. I'd like to get some more but would like to figure this out first. The image I attached shows one of these bubbles passing from around the center of the screen to the edge. BTW I have firmware 5.2. Also I called Hik and they said for support I need to buy from an authorized US reseller .

Untitled.jpg.bf0cd588feead21967cc3fe26b7c5673.jpg

Yeah that is from dust or a bug flying by..welcome to the world of pixel based motion detection...you may want to lower the sensitivity or area covered by the motion detection...

Yeah that is from dust or a bug flying by..welcome to the world of pixel based motion detection...you may want to lower the sensitivity or area covered by the motion detection...

The object acts more like a bug rather than dust simply because the speed at which it passes across the screen but there are no bugs in the house this time of year and the other camera is outside. Yes there is dust in the house and could be some type of particle flying around outside but the third camera (2.8mm) has not shown this behavior Maybe anything in the air is too small to trip the camera in the wide angle version. Don't really know but still wonder if anyone else is seeing this behavior.

Tried to upload a short video but site says file type not allowed

Tried to upload a short video but site says file type not allowed

Here's a link to a short (~5mb) video of the issue. Watch the wall between the pictures.

http://gofile.me/2fscZ/uSzcCELa

Its a dust particle or something...lots of videos like this mostly outside...this is an issue with every IR camera on the market...storage is cheap..so live with it, or tweak your sensitivity or area of motion detection...It is not a defect with the camera.

That is unquestionably just the basic crap that's floating around inside your average home. Unless you want to turn your home into an operating room, you're going to have to live with it.

Its a dust particle or something...lots of videos like this mostly outside...this is an issue with every IR camera on the market...storage is cheap..so live with it, or tweak your sensitivity or area of motion detection...It is not a defect with the camera.

Not see this with the 2.8mm but OK. Not really the storage its the looking through all the false recordings that a pain. Not that I'm doing it that much...

The other solution is to go with a separate IR illuminator. Mounting one even a few inches to the side will prevent small floaties from triggering your motion detect.

The other solution is to go with a separate IR illuminator. Mounting one even a few inches to the side will prevent small floaties from triggering your motion detect.

Yes, I thought of that. One thing is if I use a separate IR illuminator the camera still needs to be in IR mode. Is there a way to have the camera in IR mode but with the IR lamp off so it doesn't illuminate the floaters

Yes, I thought of that. One thing is if I use a separate IR illuminator the camera still needs to be in IR mode. Is there a way to have the camera in IR mode but with the IR lamp off so it doesn't illuminate the floaters

yes

yes

I had a lot of bug problems with my 2332's & 2132's and v5.2.0. I used the Expert Mode in the Motion Detection page and got rid of the problem. Just set the Night Proportion of... value to a larger number and hey presto the number of false alarms have dropped, I can even tune out next doors cat which may not be a real bug but has been bugging me!

I had a lot of bug problems with my 2332's & 2132's and v5.2.0.

Makes me wonder how these cameras will work this summer. If the IR lamp is going to attract bugs like an incandescent bulb the camera will be recording most of the night

Makes me wonder how these cameras will work this summer. If the IR lamp is going to attract bugs like an incandescent bulb the camera will be recording most of the night

Its generally not that bad..but yes..you need to account for this with your settings...or as others have suggested external ir...

The daily main issues to know about IR illumination and detection with standard cams:

- Floating Dust : Nothing to do, due to light Spectrum of IR and high definition of recent cams 2MP/3MP/5MP these artefacts are now seen but always existed.

- Insects : Specially outdoor & night , nothing to do. Just adjust area of detection and sensitivity (request fine tuning in the settings to find the right compromise). But not always 100% efficient

- IR Embedded in the cam : Here a lot of issues outdoor : insects, spiders, cover reflection, etc....

The only way is to have external IR and avoid the Embedded one. In most of the cases just disconnect the IR ramp inside cam to continue to have the benefits of the day/night sensor

- Fog : Nothing to do, some high end cams have embedded algorithm to avoid such situation but never 100% and I don't talk about costs.

- Shadows : same as above

- Rain & Snow : same as above

- Sun reflection : same as above.

- Pole vibrations due to Wind : same as above

My conclusion : Outdoor detection with standard cams are more "Activity detection", than Analytics who is totally another world. So never expect to have a good outdoor detection regarding the points above

Means also a lot of false alarms and miss détections.

Only indoor matches correctly and provide enough good results.

In my neighborhood (silicon valley), the IR doesn't really attract bugs like white light does. They fly across now and again, but never flock around them. Spiders are a bigger problem because the cam provides a framework for them to build their webs, and the IR lights up the webs strung in front of the cam.

Others have reported bugs flocking around their IR, so it may depend on what kind of bugs you have and what part of the light spectrum they like.