Mike_D

Comcast and Analog camera question.

I'm having a problem with modulating 2 analog cameras with comcast. First off, at one time the setup worked great. I had 2 cameras going to a Ustec panel and from there it tied into the cable splitter/amplifier and output on channels 120 and 123. We've upgraded extra channels from Comcast and now the cameras can't be seen. We have Comcast digital cable and if I have the modulator plugged in then we don't receive certain channels (Fox Movie Channel, etc). I get a message on the screen that says "This channel will be available shortly" as soon as I unplug the modulator the channel comes in. Also on the incoming line is Hi-speed internet. It seems that the new channels are using the frequency that the cameras were using. The question I have is... does anyone know of any "available" channels I can use or how I can work around this. This is Comcast in South Bay Area.

Thanks,

Mike

you may be able to use a diplexor................I used them to add video over a cable network. have not done that in awhile.......

I don't think diplexing would work. As far as I know, diplexing is for combining satellite and cable. I can try a notch filter, but I figure if I get one to free 117 - above I would lose the channels I just added.

This is a good question. I have never had to deal with it because I have the whole house feed on a filter which filters out all channels above 100. All the cameras and modulated channels are on 102 and above. The main room which has the hd box has a separate unfiltered line feeding the box as well as the filtered line feeding the tv itself for just regular cable and modulated channels. I don't know how you would do it without running 2 cables to each set if you have a cable box with channels over 100 on each set.

sounded like you were answering my post as a reply to an original post by yourself ... dats all ..

This is a good question. I have never had to deal with it because I have the whole house feed on a filter which filters out all channels above 100. All the cameras and modulated channels are on 102 and above. The main room which has the hd box has a separate unfiltered line feeding the box as well as the filtered line feeding the tv itself for just regular cable and modulated channels. I don't know how you would do it without running 2 cables to each set if you have a cable box with channels over 100 on each set.

Thats the way to do it and it will require 2 cables.

I run 2 TV networks:

1. 1 unfiltered and bi-direction, goes to all HDTV locations and the cable modem.

2. 1 filtered with all of your modulated channels injected.

You can do it with one coax if you loose the digital cable or if 480i is okay. If 480i is okay you can just add the cable box as a modulated channel and deal with IR or serial control remotely. HDTV makes distributed video a PITA.