Sign in to follow this  
ron776

How long do wired & wireless IP security cameras last compar

how long do wired & wireless IP security cameras last compared to analog cameras?

I think it's expected for modems and maybe routers to go bad starting at around 5+ years, and seeing how wired/wireless IP cameras use similar cables (cat5/6) and wireless connections (wifi) to move data the same way, do these IP cameras also have the same short life span of 5+ years like modems & and routers do?

If you own IP cameras either wired & wireless with either a PC or NVR could you tell me how long have your cameras been working?

It's really not that simple. Like everything else, including other network devices, it depends on the quality of the hardware (manufacturer); there's obviously some differences between a camera that costs $30 and one that looks the same but costs $200. It also depends on how much you maintain that hardware.

There are IP cameras that burn out in a month because they're garbage, but we have IP cameras that we setup in our building around ten years ago that are still running because we took care of them.

People who are too lazy/negligent to maintain their own hardware are the biggest cause of cameras going bad as far as I'm concerned. I can't even tell you the last time I saw a camera that broke down outside of its warranty where the camera was too blame.

I see 2 main problems with reliability, and neither are specific to a type of cam.

- Moving parts, like IR filters, will tend to wear out over time. My oldest Vivoteks develop issues with this, but none of the newer cams have yet.

- IR LEDs dimming or burning out due to poor heatsinking. All my cams (Dahua, Hik, Messoa) have developed this problem more or less, except the Vivoteks. No failures on them at all.

IP cams are more complex, so there's more stuff to go wrong that you wouldn't see on analog cams. One of my Vivoteks had the POE circuit fail, but still works fine on 12Vdc.

We have Ge Legends, GE Symnets, and Vivoteks that have out lasted their servers.

Most were installed in the 2007 - 2008 era.

They slowly drop out one by one. About 1 or 2 a month out of 600.