hahnice

HD still shot security camera

I am looking for a security CCTV system which doesn't use full motion video, but uses a selection of still shots at high shutter speeds. I wish to be able to see vehicle number plates passing my premises at relatively slow speed.

Currently I have a Swann HD NVR NV7200 (2.1M pixel cameras) but am disappointed in the quality of the still shots.

My idea is to have a still camera (possibly GoPro) with a motion sensor and infrared lens/filter.

The reason for this is that a standard HD video camera running 30fps trying to catch a moving image at 50kms per hour is almost impossible. (Was it a Triton or a Hilux?) Never mind trying to get the number plate detail.

The maths states that a vehicle travelling at 50kms per hour travels at 13metres a second. So if we are recording at 30 FPS the distance travelled in 1/30th sec is approx. 500mm causing significant blurring.

If you use a still shot 10Mp at 1/400th or 1/800th of a second the blurring is vastly reduced. (16mm)

Is there anything in the marketplace that foregoes video for a series of still shots?

I know (from other posts on this forum)if I use a GoPro Ill have issues with, power, storage, the ability to stream pictures, heat etc. So I'm looking for a system that may be a bit out of the ordinary.

Thks

Wow That is great, better than my 2.1M Swann cameras. What is it like at night? Is the resolution still as good?

Thanks for the reply.

Stuart

Send me a PM with your email and ill send you a night shot and a few more day ones. I cant upload the night ones as the are too big.

I am looking for a security CCTV system which doesn't use full motion video, but uses a selection of still shots at high shutter speeds. I wish to be able to see vehicle number plates passing my premises at relatively slow speed.

Currently I have a Swann HD NVR NV7200 (2.1M pixel cameras) but am disappointed in the quality of the still shots.

My idea is to have a still camera (possibly GoPro) with a motion sensor and infrared lens/filter.

The reason for this is that a standard HD video camera running 30fps trying to catch a moving image at 50kms per hour is almost impossible. (Was it a Triton or a Hilux?) Never mind trying to get the number plate detail.

The maths states that a vehicle travelling at 50kms per hour travels at 13metres a second. So if we are recording at 30 FPS the distance travelled in 1/30th sec is approx. 500mm causing significant blurring.

If you use a still shot 10Mp at 1/400th or 1/800th of a second the blurring is vastly reduced. (16mm)

Is there anything in the marketplace that foregoes video for a series of still shots?

I know (from other posts on this forum)if I use a GoPro Ill have issues with, power, storage, the ability to stream pictures, heat etc. So I'm looking for a system that may be a bit out of the ordinary.

Thks

The Swann cameras that come with the system you mention do not process the image based on the frame capture rate. They have a separate exposure setting that controls the exposure time. You can only access that setting through the cameras directly though, not via the NVR. The trade off is less night time performance as you can then make the exposure time too short to collect enough light to activate the sensor properly.

This guide will show you the basics of connecting to the cameras directly.

Thks

You will never get plates at night unless you dedicate a camera to that role. I'm capturing plates at night using an old dahua with average low light performance (0.1 lux in B&W) and a sub $50 illuminator. Vehicle speed is about 50 - 70km/h and exposure time is 1/500 sec.

You have also confused frame rate with exposure time. The best way to think about frame rate is that 30 frames per second is like 30 still shots per second. 1/30 sec in the theoretical maximum exposure time at that frame rate. You can still do 30 frames per second at 1/1000 or 1/2000 of a second and reduce motion blur. 1/1000 of a second at 50km/h means the vehicle is moving 13mm during the exposure. If the plate is moving directly towards or away from the camera that will create almost no blur. Remember blue increases with angle because the plate is moving laterally in the frame.

The newer Hikvision cameras claim 0.001 lux minimum illumination which means you could increase the shutter speed for less motion blur or increase the distance of the shot from the camera/illuminator. If you do not run a high enough shutter speed the plate will appear as just a bright rectangle. All you will see in that shot is the plate and headlights/tail light.

Your second camera does not need to run as high a shutter speed because a little more motion blur wont stop you identifying the vehicle type. Lower shutter means more light in the image, more detail, increased depth of field and sharpness.