MrSquid

GeoVision & Camera with more then 480 lines?

I know that camera resolution alone does not make a good camera, but all things being equal, will I get a better recorded image from a camera that is 540 or 580 lines over one that is 480? My recording resolution will be 640x480.

Thanks,

Typically yes you will get better recorded video. But, like you just said its not all resolution.

-What type of application will this camera be in?

(day, night, indoor, outdoor)

-What are the lighting levels?

-What cameras are you comparing with?

These factors will all determine picture quality and clarity. Why dont you give us the 3 cameras your comparing and where you plan on installing them and we will give you our opinions.

Thanks,

Yes but it doesn't always work the other way around, ideally they should be the same in every way. Don't expect that to happen though.

I have a GV1280-8 card and my setup will be for residential monitoring of my property. My front yard is lit up pretty well from a street light. My back and side yards have motion lights. I am looking at the Ganz line (2000/3000) of dome cameras. They have a "regular" 480 line day/night color/bw I was looking at and they also have 'hi-res" bw/580 or color/540. I am not sure how much of an improvement there would be. Is there another line of cameras I should consider? I like to go color unless there is a good reason not to.

I am currently playing with a cheap bullet camera that I acquired for free (Speco CVC-1700) and I am hoping for a good improvement in quality.

Is there another line of cameras I should consider?

Thats a loaded question .. Ganz has some good cameras, at least their more expensive ones. There are a ton of others also, GE, Bosch, Sanyo, Sansung Techwin, Pelco, Panasonic, and then there are hundreds of smaller OEM brands .. and then thousands of really budget OEMs.

basically there is no company that brands a camera for every single application or price.

Thats a loaded question ..

I see what you mean.

I'd like to start with two cameras for the front of my house which is partially lit by a street light. Which camera would you recommend in the $200-300 price point? I'd prefer a dome over a box camera with a housing, but my main concern is getting the best picture quality so if I need to go with a box I would. A little over budget would also be ok.

Thanks

The only reason I could see you using a box camera over a dome for your application would be due to lens requirements. If you can cover the area of detection using a 3-9mm lens range, then I have a solution for you that fits well within your budget for your application. The quality is far above anf beyond that of the Speco bullet line products as well. Let me kow if you are interested and I can send you a demo link.

Scottj

Scott,

I too would like to see the demo link. I have a similiar situation, but have only really looked at these bullet camera's: KT&C's KC-N600H

http://www.ktncusa.com/

Is what your suggesting comperable (ignoring the IR part)?

All - I was thinking about multiple bullets around the house eaves, but multiple domes might be a better idea. Comments?

Steve

Difference is, bullets would be cheaper, but are easy to be accidentally moved.

Image quality is generally greater on a Box camera ... but it depends which one you buy, higher end Domes can be just as good utilizing the same camera boards.

Rory

I just picked up (2) used Sony CCD73V's (day/night) to cover my front yard with. If they don't meet my needs at least I will have a reference point to go from and I will probably be able to resell them for what I paid.

As always thanks for the feedback.