senator

Connecting a DVR to a PC

Is it feasible to connect my Dowson DVR directly to my Windows PC without sacrificing functionality on either devise?

Here is what I hope to accomplish.

- Eliminating the need for a dedicated monitor for the DVR.

- Having full DVR native software functionality and clarity (not remote app) on the PC.

The DVR resides at my vacation home. I’m rarely there so virtually all of my viewing is remote. The DVR remote app lacks functionality and image quality, compared with that of the native (Linux-based) software. I have gotten good results from using remote PC applications like TeamViewer.

Many thanks

Thanks for your response, but you will need to be a bit more specific. The DVR is connected to the network, as is the PC.

No, I am not just wanting to share the monitor.

I'd like to have the native application and mouse control to be on the PC so I can control it remotely using an application like TeamViewer. There is a post in this forum that talked about doing something like this by sharing the same IP address, but it didn't provide enough detail.

Thanks for your message.

Apology that I misunderstood your question. I do not have seen any standalone DVR can let a full access from remote.

PC based DVR based on a video capture card could be the solution, as long as you can access to it from remote. With a teamviewer like soft wares, you can have a full control over the PC based DVR. If you can hack into the PC, there would be no need to attach a monitor.

Is it feasible to connect my Dowson DVR directly to my Windows PC without sacrificing functionality on either devise?

Here is what I hope to accomplish.

- Eliminating the need for a dedicated monitor for the DVR.

- Having full DVR native software functionality and clarity (not remote app) on the PC.

The DVR resides at my vacation home. I’m rarely there so virtually all of my viewing is remote. The DVR remote app lacks functionality and image quality, compared with that of the native (Linux-based) software. I have gotten good results from using remote PC applications like TeamViewer.

Many thanks

have the same issue

did you get any help with it?

No, I've not had a credible answer or a reasonable solution. I'm still hopeful that someone will have an answer.