rory

1.2 Mobile CPU and Overclocking

Installed a new mother board and CPU for my parents PC that stopped working (they had a 2.2Ghz Celeron). After all that and reloading windows, comes out that the store here sold them a Duron Mobile 1.2Ghz CPU as a 2.2 Ghz, and the mother board, though new in the box, is like 4 years old, has no XP Drivers on the CD.

Anyway, for now since its hard to get decent parts here, and they need the PC back ASAP, anyone know anything about the OverClock function in the PC Chips Bios? Ive already tweaked the heck out of windows XP .. but was wondering if that Overclock function was worth messing with? Dont want to fry anything ..

thanks

Rory

Depends on the Chip and and the BIOS. You would need to check your BIOS first and even see if there is a setting to change your Front Side Bus speed and if you can make slight voltage adjustments.

Search Google and see what you come up with. It doesn't sound promising, but I could be wrong.

One quick find: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/duron-600.html

Too much risk for what you could gain, which would not be much.

This is the Chip? Duronâ„¢ 1.2GHz 1200 MHz 200 MHz Socket A 256 KB

Here is a good article for you to read: Not about overclocking, but just testing of that chip. Sorry, it just seems like they ripped off your folks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/11/16/attack/index.html

YEah, im going by Windows System tab only, sais it is a Duron Mobile 1.2 Ghz. I can tell the board is not new either, seeing as the drivers go up to NT and ME ...

I downloaded the latest XP drivers for it from PCCHips web site, and also a newer bios. Ill try the flash and see if that makes a diff, maybe the CPU is a 2.2 but the Bios is so old it only recognizes it as 1.2?? Even though the box it came in sais its a Motherboard with Onboard CPU, but no other details. Maybe the Manu messed up ..

The only settings for the CPU are in the Bios, and its only for OverClocking ..

It doesnt feel as slow as a 1.2 to be honest, but the Mobile CPUs are normally faster, but then again, why does it look the size of a Regular CPU ...?

Anyway, I got to switch back over to that PC, the KVM switch doesnt work too good with a USB mouse and KB ... so ill check back later, and let you know what happens after I flash it ..

Thanks

Rory

PS. I was going to take this back to the store and cuss the heck out of them, boi my mums had to calm me down on the cell .. When they do it to someone else Its bad enough, but to my parents ... and then they cant seem to hire people at these PC stores that know the first things about computer hardware ... Arghhh ...

another thing, the Mobo is this ...

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=283&MenuID=24&LanID=0

I dont see where they sell this board with a CPU anywherre on their site .. but the manufacturer Sticker sais "M825G CPU on".

I guess I "could" take the fan off to see what it is exactly ....

but is there any program that will test to see exactly what it is,

or is that left up to the Bios to determine .. hence updating the Bios first?

Been while since i really got too indepth with hardware ... tings 'ave changed ...

Rory

save yourself some time and goto Staples and buy them a new budget PC.............let THEM pick it.

Parents and PC's? I spent a week getting my pops set up with DSL service, a router, new PC, wireless laptop & cam, and after I got all working well he unwired it all and reset it to his original configuration because the laptop did not have a wire on it and it was not "dialing out". Yes it worked. He then went into the PC's and deleted programs and files. Lessoned learned; never extend your "expertise" to your Parents & fly them to Hawaii or Vegas instead. You'll save time and money.

Staples is a US office supply company, "The Easy Button" You've probably seen their TV ADs.

Wait a min...

What hardware devices are plugged into the PCI and AGP buses, oh and please tell me nothing ISA. These devices often limit your overclocking pretty quickly if you can't change their bus divisor.

Overclocking is about dead now but you can give it a try. In the BIOS there should be a way to change the processor from whatever it says it is now to something like "user define". The only thing you should change in the begining is FSB (front side bus) ....

EDIT: I looked over the manual and it's pretty basic functionality, I only saw adjustments for FSB and a system memory function.

Might look for a copy of Sisoft Sandra it has an app to stress the CPU so you can see if they will have temp issues down the road.

Overclocking is far from dead as a matter of fact it is more popular than ever. For example an AMD 3800+ rated at 2Ghz is an Overclockers dream because it runs cool and has been successfully overclocked to 2.6Ghz, which is one heck of a power increase.

Overclocking is not something to be taken lightly. You can fry your CPU real quick if you don’t know what your doing.

In this chips case it really isn’t worth the effort. Even if you successfully overclock the CPU, you will be lucky to gain enough power to make it worth the effort and risk you will be taking.

Overclocking is far from dead as a matter of fact it is more popular than ever. For example an AMD 3800+ rated at 2Ghz is an Overclockers dream because it runs cool and has been successfully overclocked to 2.6Ghz, which is one heck of a power increase.

AMDs have always been the overclocker's chip, you can change the multiplier and thats a huge advantage.

I'm not saying people aren't still doing it but it's not like it once was.

The latest issue of Maximum PC is dedicated to OverClcoking. It is being done more now then ever before. As far as the High-End AMD chips like the 4200+ thru 4800+ your right, they don't have much room for overclocking compared to the X2 3800+.

The best chips for AMD overclocking now are:

X2 3800+, Sempron 3100 and the Athlon 64 Venice 3800

3800 2Ghz to 2.6Ghz, Sempron 1.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz, Venice 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz.

For intel:

Pentium Extreme Edition 955, Pentium D 840 and the Intel Pentium 4 560J.

The 955 was overclocked to 5Ghz. The other two to 4Ghz.

There are many websites dedicated to the Art of overclocking.

And it invovles the Front Bus Speed, the CPU clock Muliplier and voltage ajdustments. And of course cooling when clocking to the highest speeds as the chips get very hot as you increase their voltages.

Oh I understand how it works, I was doing it 10 years ago. I just don't fully utilize a 2 Ghz so running the risk is not worth it. In the media servers that would fully utilize it and already have the cooling to support it IMO it's still not worth it.

My 7 yo has a coppermine 550 running XP stable for about 3 years at a little over 850Mhz. Taking something that has already been used up and recycling it into something worthwhile for no cost... Thats where I'll overclock.

Heck this PC I'm on now is 1.6Ghz and isn't stressed by surfing the web, or 99% of the other stuff I do. Transcoding video on the other hand...

Exactly.

All depends on what you are using the computer for. I have a 2.53Ghz Intel and it does everything I need it to do with the exception of when I am working with Video encoding or Transcoding.

That is when I wish I had one of the new X2 AMD processors. The dual core processors are nice because your system doesn't become unresponsive like a single core does where you are running an Anti Virus scan, encoding or transcoding video and trying to do something else. For people who like to run like to run many program at once a dual core is for them.

My question to Rory is what do your parents use the computer for?

I would recommend different components depending upon it's use.

I work with a lot of file copying, so for me getting progressively faster hard drives over the years has made a big difference in my situation.

All depends on how someone uses the computer.

okay guys dont worry .. flash doesnt work anyway .. i wont mess with the clock, its okay for now, as I tweaked the living heck out of it ... but yeah their getting a new mobo/CPU next visit to the states .. tweaked or not XP and a 1.2 doesnt cut it .. but will have to work for now .. no other choice.

thanks

I have a 1.2Ghz computer also that is running Windows XP. It is fine for browsing the Internet and running non intensive CPU tasks. And it only has 256MB of memory and a slower 40GB hard drive. It would be quite a bit faster if I had more memory and a faster hard drive.

It should work out ok for them.

Overclocking is great for gaming and it's a hobby in itself. I've overclocked endless computers at home. I would not overclock a dedicated server or PC DVR setup. Your goal should be 100% stability and 100% up time. The last thing you need is a glitch or application error when your on vacation that takes a trip back home to get your DVR server back online.

You also want to trust your system to do it's job and worrying about a potential crash puts a hamper on the entire idea of security. I have FreeBSD boxes that are running nonstop for 485 days up time without a reboot. I had a NT box that was over 400 days before we needed to do a security patch. Overclocking has it's place just not here.

The other thing I forgot to mention about overclocking is that if your memory is not fast enough you will only be able to overclock so far. And trying to increase the voltage at this point is more likely to fry your CPU.

My advice stear clear for doing this for a DVR and even a home system unless you are willing to take such a high risk for what might be a slight performance gain. Gamers are usually the ones interested in doing this anyway.

I downloaded that utility. I will check it out. Thanks.