Sign in to follow this  
jmjudy2

Can old CAT5 cables handle IP Cameras POE?

Hi, I'm an novice installer. I've read many of the forum topics and decided to select the following to put my video surveillance system together.

- Dahua Waterproof IPC-HDW4300C 3MP IP66 IR HD Network Mini Dome IP Cameras

- NVR4208-8P 8CH Channel NVR Network Video Recorder

- 2 Purple 3TB Surveillence Hard Drives

- CAT5e 50 Ft Outdoor Waterproof Direct Burial Ethernet Network Cable - 350 Mhz,

My house, which was built in 2001 had CAT5 ethernet cable run throughout it as it was built. I've got a hub with all the cables (CAT5 and phone and cable) in a room in my basement. That's where my Verizon Fios connections are for WiFi and internet.

I thought I could use some of my existing CAT5 cables that are in my attic and connect them with the CAT5e cable I bought to the cameras I installed on the eaves of my roof.

I connected the first camera and everything was working great for several weeks. When I got around to installing the 2nd camera a few weeks later, the first one stopped working. I checked the camera and it's working. The new CAT5e cable is working (I bought one of those diagnostic devices that test ethernet and coaxial cables). However, one of the old cables that's running through my house has a short in it and the other one doesn't recognize the diagnostic adapter of the tester.

Is my 13-15 year CAT5 cable compatible with the components of my system? Maybe the IP cameras are pulling too much current? I'm at a loss because I initially thought I was lucky to have CAT5 ethernet cable running through my house that I could use for my cameras.

If the above is true, my thoughts are to use CAT5e or CAT6 cables in my attic and connect them directly to the DVR that I can put in a room near the attic. As long as I've got one good CAT5 cable running from my basement to the upstairs that has internet/WiFi connections (hope I don't ruin all of them!), I could connect that to the DVR upstairs.

I hope all of this make sense. I'm very frustrated at this point.

Appreciate if you could confirm my problem might be the old CAT5 cabling.

Thanks for any help that you can provide,

Jim

Edited by Guest

sounds like the cable may have been attacked by the mice or something bigger. The cat 5 if it passes your tester should be fine for running a cameras as you are only running 100 over those links. My guess is you will have to replace those cables that fail your wire map tests.

The cable is most likely ok...check your connections...recrimp the plugs...also, make sure you are not setting both cameras to the same ip address..that will cause a conflict and one wont work.

Hi. 9 times out of 10 cat5 or 6 testing a fault is found at rj45 plug.

Even if you take your time it could even be a bad crimp set or very bad rj45 plugs

Apart from having cable testers these are ideal to carry in tool box for cable testing. It rules out the rj45 plug on testing.

266394_1.jpeg

Don't think it's mice or something bigger as I traced the cables in the attic until it went down the wall and it looks clean. Also, the connections had tape covering them. I'll replace the connector on the one cable that was cut and terminated for the one camera that was working and see if that's it.

Again, I cut the existing old CAT5 cable, terminated the end and then used a connector to join a new, already, outdoor patch (alreatdy terminated) CAT5e cable to the IP camera.

Strange everything was good to go for several weeks.

So no issues running a POE IP camera on old CAT5 cable?

Don't think it's mice or something bigger as I traced the cables in the attic until it went down the wall and it looks clean. Also, the connections had tape covering them. I'll replace the connector on the one cable that was cut and terminated for the one camera that was working and see if that's it.

Again, I cut the existing old CAT5 cable, terminated the end and then used a connector to join a new, already, outdoor patch (alreatdy terminated) CAT5e cable to the IP camera.

Strange everything was good to go for several weeks.

So no issues running a POE IP camera on old CAT5 cable?

Those couplers are notoriously bad...also anytime you do that you introduce signal attenuation and lower the maximum distance signal can travel along those cables. You might want to try a more rugged one like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888361-REG/Neutrik_ne8ff_ADAPTER_EHTERCON_CAT5.html

Thanks for all the advice. I used the components recommended and my CAT5 cables are now working. Appreciate the assistance!