Sign in to follow this  
gmartz

NVR Connection to a PoE Switch

Hi!

I would to verify the following concerns I have in mind:

The PoE we're going to use is: ZyXEL GS1900-24HP. Is it okay to connect the NVR to any of the ports of the PoE Switch since it doesn't have any uplink port? (given I switch off the PoE for the said port).

The system consists of:

6x 3MP Hikvision Varifocal IP Bullet Camera

4x 2MP Hikvision Varifocal IP Bullet Camera

9x 2MP Hikvision Varifocal IP Dome Camera

1x 32-channel Hikvision NVR

1x Zyxel 24-port Gigabit PoE Switch

All devices will be connected to the said PoE Switch.

Let me know if I missed something.

Thank you in advance!

It is fine to plug your NVR into a POE switch, switches "usually" do not give a device power unless it asks for it(a smart switch). So you should not have any issues, if it makes you feel better, just disable the POE in the Web Interface.

Also make sure that switch is sized accordingly to the amount of power the cameras will drawl. Not sure what the max wattage that switch is rated to.

It is fine to plug your NVR into a POE switch, switches "usually" do not give a device power unless it asks for it(a smart switch). So you should not have any issues, if it makes you feel better, just disable the POE in the Web Interface.

Also make sure that switch is sized accordingly to the amount of power the cameras will drawl. Not sure what the max wattage that switch is rated to.

Thank you for the feedback! Yup, I'll just make sure to disable the POE if it doesn't automatically deactivates.

Upon double-checking, the IP cameras max power consumption is between 7-8W, while the POE switch has 170W power budget. Computing it, all cameras will consume around 150W in total. So I think it's still safe, right?

Thank you for the feedback! Yup, I'll just make sure to disable the POE if it doesn't automatically deactivates.

Upon double-checking, the IP cameras max power consumption is between 7-8W, while the POE switch has 170W power budget. Computing it, all cameras will consume around 150W in total. So I think it's still safe, right?

You're safe. If you're worried about frying something because you have 170w but are only using 150w, you don't need to worry. You should obviously have enough power as long as that 170 watts is accurate. I'm guessing the previous post made by abdelm01 was in reference to using a PoE+ switch (or just one with more wattage) if you ended up needing additional power...which you seemingly do not need.

Thank you so much for the replies! Last question, is there a difference if the NVR is connected to an uplink or non-uplink port?

It depends. In some switches it will only allow you to pull one camera feed and sometimes it won't let you pull any camera feed unless its a managed switch and you open up 2-way traffic. But i would not put in the UP_LINK port, its really no difference in that nor in a regular port, speed wise.

It depends. In some switches it will only allow you to pull one camera feed and sometimes it won't let you pull any camera feed unless its a managed switch and you open up 2-way traffic. But i would not put in the UP_LINK port, its really no difference in that nor in a regular port, speed wise.

Noted. Thanks for the heads up.