homebuilder7

Robbed - Please Help

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been educating myself on a future security system setup, and there's a lot of knowledge here, so thanks a lot. Though recently, my planning has been accelerated, or at least changed altogether. A quick background about my situation: I have been building my 'dream' home with my father, it's literally been a two man job with my old man, with a lot of work and struggles. We're at the two year and a half mark, and two months ago we finalized the install of impact windows and doors. Having the 'shell,' we moved in the power tools, and just recently started working on the HVAC, partitions, electricity, etc. Two nights ago, someone forced one of the windows and got in, they basically emptied the house. Stole all power equipment and tools. My old man is heartbroken, and very discouraged to say the least.

I need to install a security system. A combination of alarm and surveillance cameras. Thanks to tips from this community, I was able to pull a Cat6, Coax and Power cable to each corner of the home before the stucco, and also have firewire to each opening. My problem is that I don't know what to do... I have electricity at the house, but no internet. I want an alarm system that would at least make some noise and serve as deterrent, along with some cameras with basic 'self storage.'

The biggest challenge for me is to understand if a stop gap measure is worth it at this point, the house won't be finished for at least six more months, or just go ahead and call an ISP and get a full system going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a temp basis buy a wireless alarm system that transmits on cellular - google home security store.

As far as cams, if you want to monitor remotely you can use a cellular internet provider because you are not going to be using lots of data if you are just checking in..or just have the isp come in and get their cheapest plan for now..

Here is a camera kit that will get you going its IP and poe...

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146086.html

I highly recommend Simplisafe. It is completely wireless, uses cellular calling, and you buy it and install it yourself. It is very easy to use with low monthly monitoring and text alerts for events. I've had it for about 5 years, and I love it. I also have a water alarm for my water heater and monitored smoke detectors. The beauty of a wireless system is that you can move and adjust it as you wish.

www.simplisafe.com

Install/mount a camera to cover your front door and install/mount another camera to cover your front yard ASAP.

Install wiring, set up recording later.

These cameras will be an immediate deterrent.

Nobody but you will know if the cameras are wired/recording or not...

have a look through these compare tables for the cheaper DIY home security systems where it notes whether a system is based on a ethernet or cellular connection type under the monitoring type

DIY systems

safeguard-your-home.com/Compare_DIY_Systems.html

or maybe check out the professionally monitored systems if its within your budget

http://safeguard-your-home.com/Compare_Services.html