Sign in to follow this  
kentuckynet

cat5 how do you terminate the ends?

hello using cat5 cable to travel from camera to dvr is there anyway to terminate the ends other than using a balun at both ends? how do you get a bnc connector connected to cat5 without the balun? thanks

hello using cat5 cable to travel from camera to dvr is there anyway to terminate the ends other than using a balun at both ends? how do you get a bnc connector connected to cat5 without the balun? thanks

267650_1.jpg

Hi. This is a basic BNC connector ........ Is there a reason why you don't want to use baluns

I get the feeling that you think the balun is just a way of getting cat5 to be terminated in a BNC connector. A balun is a matching transformer to match 100^ cat5 to 75^ impedance of cameras & DVRs and is neccessary when using cat5 as your transmission medium.

The items in "tomcctv" post are only termination devices and DO NOT have baluns built in.

using baluns on each end was what i thought i was suppose to do, but i read where someone said you only had or needed one and that was at the dvr and by using 2 you lost (some) video signal quality. So that got me to thinking that maybe there was another way???

I dont like powered baluns as thats just more money and something that goes bad every time we have a bad lightning storm.

thanks

mack

using baluns on each end was what i thought i was suppose to do, but i read where someone said you only had or needed one and that was at the dvr and by using 2 you lost (some) video signal quality. So that got me to thinking that maybe there was another way???

I dont like powered baluns as thats just more money and something that goes bad every time we have a bad lightning storm.

thanks

mack

You need them at BOTH ends.

Camera (75^) to cat5/6 (100^) then cat5/6 (100^) to DVR (75^)