Sign in to follow this  
ferguson

4 cameras over one cat cat6 cable

Hello,

Am new to ip cameras and am wondering is it possible to run more than one ip camera over a cat6 cable? as i dont want to run individual cables to each camera as they are very far away from the nvr

Thanks for your time and help

Hello,

Am new to ip cameras and am wondering is it possible to run more than one ip camera over a cat6 cable? as i dont want to run individual cables to each camera as they are very far away from the nvr

Yes, you can attach a switch at the camera end and then run shorter cables to each camera....thats the beauty of ip cameras...if the cameras are POE then you will need a poe switch...

Hello,

Yes, you can attach a switch at the camera end and then run shorter cables to each camera....thats the beauty of ip cameras...if the cameras are POE then you will need a poe switch...

Thank you for your reply,

Does it matter if the nvr has POE built in?

No it does not matter that your NVR is PoE. The NVR's poe function won't be used if you use a separate poe switch near the cameras.

No it does not matter that your NVR is PoE. The NVR's poe function won't be used if you use a separate poe switch near the cameras.

Thanks i will try that, can you use a ptz camera with the switch?

Thanks i will try that, can you use a ptz camera with the switch?

Sure you can.

If the camera requires POE+ you will need a separate injector between the camera and the switch unless your switch is POE+

POE+ is 30 watts of power instead of 15 watts.