GECAMGUY

Camera Power Terminals - Feedback requested

What type of power connectors do you find the easiest to install on CCTV Cameras?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What type of power connectors do you find the easiest to install on CCTV Cameras?

• Screw Terminals
    • Mapped CAT-5 connectors
    • Spring Terminals

Most CCTV cameras out there nowadays have power brought to the camera in one of three fashions.

Screw Terminals

Mapped CAT-5 connectors

Spring Terminals

Of these, which do you favor? You can respond in replies, or I've set up an easy poll for you to choose from one of these 3.

Thanks,

Screw Terminals ofcourse ..

I always find those other push in ones a PITA .. especially inside domes ..

Rory

Yeah I don't like the push ones that Bosch uses either, but I like the simplicity idea.

Barrell connectors did cross my mind but I know what a pain those are too.

What I was really thinking about where spring terminals like you see on Stereo Speakers. No tools required, pretty easy to use.

I'm a bit concerned about longevity of connection, so I'm looking at a locking mechanism for that style.

On the other hand, if you all are fine with screw terminals, I ain't gonna fix what ain't broken.

oh definitly screw terminals. Those spring loaded are a pain and are something I would LOVE TO NEVER see again. Screws stay good. Those spring terminals are alot easier for the wire to come out. I once saw the whole plastic holder for the 2 inputs come loose over time and kept making the camera come on and off. It was something my foreman tried to troubleshoot for like 6 hours before I brought him a new camera and replaced it with the one in the housing and later at the shop found out it was that. Piece of crap.

speaking of the push in terminals .. the Ge Vandal Domes used to have them ... arghhh ...

I like the screw teriminals but if you use a really short flat head screw driver the spring loaded ones a easy, You just have to be smarter than the camera (LOL)

Joe is right. We have the spring terminals on the new SDNR 540TVL box camera I've been promoting - hated them at first (I was "stupider" than the terminals) as I have been testing a bunch of these before shipping (that's a lot of puching and pulling) but as I've gotten used to them they are actually fairly easy and quite secure. You need to learn to expose just (about) the right amount of wire, you can't just "rip" the wire out after your test (like I could do with loosely secured screws) and I can't use my favorite 6 gauge power wire But anyway, ultimately screws are probably still best as they're most idiot-proof (I should know!!!)