itpst

ideal pc based system

we are planning to build a demo pc for future demonstration on client? we have one but we need to build another that much stronger and stable, probably anyone here can advice us what processor, memory, board(i think ASUS is more reliable), we are planning to use 19" monitor. so any suggestions are welcome...

thanks.

I'd recommend the generic Intel Server boards. They tend to be fairly durable and not alot of extra bells and whistles.

Agreed - ASUS make good solid boards, but they, and a lot of others, tend to have a lot of stuff you probably don't need: a gazillion onboard USB ports, 7.1 surround sound with optical I/O (unless you like to really immerse yourself in the surveillance experience), heavy-duty 3D video, and so on. Servers don't need a lot of extra stuff like that, and neither do DVRs. Disk I/O and good RAM capacity are more important concerns, for both servers and DVRs

Abit and Asus are both excellent motherboard makers, so is Intel no doubt.

We need more to go on, which capture card?

Abit and Asus are performance boards, Intel is a reliable often base tested boards. Abit and Asus will let you tweak your hardware beyond what Intel will, Intel is almost always a baseline tested solution for reliablity.

If your caputure card doesn't support Intel northbrigdes you are about up a creek for more then a couple few cameras. Every capture card I have seen is if not approved for Intel then required.

Abit and Asus are performance boards, Intel is a reliable often base tested boards. Abit and Asus will let you tweak your hardware beyond what Intel will, Intel is almost always a baseline tested solution for reliablity.

Reliablility is possibly THE primary consideration for a DVR; the extra 5%-10% speed you might get out of overclocking and other tweaking is pointless if you start getting crashes and lock-ups.

Agreed. For stability reasons overclocking would not be recommended for a mission critical application, which is a security system.

Here is the setup we use on 95% of our PC Builds.

-Pentium 4 2.66 533FSB (NO HT, stock intel heatsink and Fan)

-Genuine Intel 915PLWD Mobo (PCI express and SATA)

-512MB-1GB of DDR400 PC3200 RAM (depending on Number of Channels)

-160GB Min SATA Western Digital HDD

-ATI Radeon X300 PCI-Express 256MB Vid Card

-Some different cases, but all have 2 fans one on side with CPU port Tube and one in rear.

-Windows XP SP2

-Services and Non-essential programs removed or disabled.

-No Anti-anything

-Sony DVD-RW

Yes, the Intel boards are very stable, and we have yet to have a failure.

If I can get it compatable with Abit, I'll take one over anything else anyday for 15% more $.

Just because they focused on customization and performance doesn't directly mean they left stability behind. The settings are in the BIOS, if you don't play with em you will have Intel reliablity IF you hardware is compatable. For about every DVR system I have ever seen Intel northbridges are the main restriction, Abit and Asus both have that covered assuming you can read the spec sheets. I hate answering questions exactly like this because non of us know jack about what other hardware is in the system and what his end goal is.

Another thing he really wasn't too obvious about is this the server or the client machine, maybe its a server with a client for total demo.

Heck if it's a client demo get the cheapest laptop you can find and call it good.