joe4

Samsung 415 - Should It Detect IR?

I have a 415 next to another cam that has IR, and the 415 does not pickup the IR.

Is there a setting I need to change or do they just not have that option?

Not that I know of (not having used it, just going by specs) seems its just a color camera. Or is it switching to BW also? Maybe it has a fixed IR Cut Filter, would cut down on the cost while retaining a decent color image.

Maybe its just a Digital BW .. normally the less expensive cameras which do a switchover to a BW Mode will do it digitally just removing the chroma to make it a little more sensitive, and with a fixed IR cut Filter means wont pick up IR, but get no wash out of colors in the day as present with most Color IR Bullets.

The other model has the mechanical IR Cut Filter, i think its the 520, which is a True Day Night.

Maybe its just a Digital BW .. normally the less expensive cameras which do a switchover to a BW Mode will do it digitally just removing the chroma to make it a little more sensitive, and with a fixed IR cut Filter means wont pick up IR, but get no wash out of colors in the day as present with most Color IR Bullets.

The other model has the mechanical IR Cut Filter, i think its the 520, which is a True Day Night.

Thanks rory, that explaned my problem with some KT&C cams I have that are washed out during the day.

Great question Joe (and feedback Rory). I found the same thing in testing with our version Joe. It does switch to B/W (so long as you have "color" set to "auto" under the "special" setting in the menu) but it definately does not have a mechanical cut filter. In testing it saw the IR but just barely (and not enough for it to be useful). It's not supposed to... rather it is a low cost 540TVL DSS color camera with (Digital Noise Reducton) that has an amazing ability to see (in color) with no added IR. It will be most appreciated in low-light (but not no-light) applications, especially when adding IR would be cost prohibitive and/or challenging for other reasons. In no-light applications where you can use IR, or where you are most interested in very-low-light functionality and will have a problem with the slow-shutter aspects of DSS then you'll definately want the mechanical cut filter (ICR) day/night cameras.