b30

installing an eagle nest camera

Hi all, new to the forum and camera installation.

Trying to install an ip camera on a tree near an eagles nest during the nesting "off-season." Nest is located about 800' from my building. Gonna use fiber optic cable and run the power supply for the camera from my building as it is the nearest power source to the nest. Other than the camera, cables, dvr and monitor what other equipment do I need/recommended? Thanks

Hi. You might want to take a look at a dahua PTZ camera 2mp

Reason why I say that is you will get good images day or night and also follow around if needed

Camera comes with record and viewing and control software

If you already have dvr then again a dahua PTZ analog

273199_1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! The nest is 50ft up in the tree so I skipped the ladder & first aid and have instead opted for tree climbing spikes and a body-bag. The PTZ cameras are amazing but I believe a well placed bullet camera will be sufficient.

The nest is also located on an island with no power source. Is it even possible to power one to two ip cameras that far away(800ft)?

Thanks for the suggestions! The nest is 50ft up in the tree so I skipped the ladder & first aid and have instead opted for tree climbing spikes and a body-bag. The PTZ cameras are amazing but I believe a well placed bullet camera will be sufficient.

The nest is also located on an island with no power source. Is it even possible to power one to two ip cameras that far away(800ft)?

You can with the proper baluns. Some allow up to like 1200 ft.

Some form of Solar charger and li-ion batteries may be the answer to the power issue, although how to get your signal off the island onto a DVR or NVR on the mainland is a slightly more difficult problem. I suppose you could do line of sight radio transmission and again power using solar power and batteries. There are now some very good wi fi link equipment on the market with unbelievable ranges which might be worth investigating.

Does seem a rather expensive project just to spy on a few dumb birds. Unless this is a research project that is funded you'll have to be very dedicated and committed to this project to fund it as it's not going to be cheap.

Not to be a bummer, but make sure you aren't breaking any laws for being near or "disturbing" a nest, an eagle's nest no less.

Some things can get complicated, good luck though