JoshM

Designing a new system with an existing pc.

I have been looking into building a new cctv system for my Laundromat. Currently there is one hidden b&w camera run off of a home vcr. This setup only covers about 75% of the building. I am looking to upgrade to 4 b&w cameras, preferably motion activated recording to reduce recording space, and build a dvr out of an existing computer.

The computer was originally built with the intent of doing video editing as a small side project, specs are as follows: AMD Athlon 2700+ (2.17 GHZ) 512 mb pc2700 ((333 mhz) would probbably upgrade to 1.5gig), 250 gig 7200 rpm and 45 gig 7200 rpm Hitachi hd's, Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb vivo, dual cd-rw drives.

The Radeon, I might remove and use in a different computer. I am looking for a DVR card and software that would support 4 inputs at rougly 30 fps each and be capable of simultaneous independant motion based recording and review. I also realize the processor might be a bit underpowered, however prices on faster cpu's have come down quite a bit.

Any help with choosing a DVR card and software package would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

budget drives everything so plan your build on actual avaiable cash BEFORE you start shopping. As with everything, quality and money can't live without each other..............as long as you know what your buying.

You can try an external usb connection server for the cameras. They will usually do 30fps per channel, have most of the features of capture cards and work with AMD processors.

Geovision's GV250 will work in most systems, somewhere there is a line that requires an Intel northbridge chipset you won't be able to run any of the badboy cards.

My past expeirences with USB video capture hasn't been good...

your AMD chipset may result in a problem too.....Most cards are built on the Intel chipset and not alwasy tested on AMD.

The Avermedia DVR Cards will work great with that setup. Look into the NV5000 card. http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/dvr/window/nv5000/nv5000.shtml

Here are the requirements for an AMD setup using this card:

1. CPU must support MMX or SSE2 (codec, NRF, de-interlacing algorithm), above AMD Athlon 900 CPU will have these features support.

2. Display card must support YUY2 hardware stretch. This is individual VGA card issue and is not related to AMD or K7 (except it is on-board).

This was also on their FAQ section for this DVR card

"If you plan on running only 4 cameras per system, you can run the software on one of the newer VIA K8T800 chipset (at least 533MHz FSB) or one of the newer AMD based motherboard with the Athlon64+ processor"

Sorry to drag up this old post....

The Avermedia DVR Cards will work great with that setup. Look into the NV5000 card. http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/dvr/window/nv5000/nv5000.shtml

Here are the requirements for an AMD setup using this card:

1. CPU must support MMX or SSE2 (codec, NRF, de-interlacing algorithm), above AMD Athlon 900 CPU will have these features support.

When you say "de-interlacing algorithm" does this come from the CPU or the graphics card?

Thanks

Matt

Sorry to drag up this old post....

When you say "de-interlacing algorithm" does this come from the CPU or the graphics card?

Thanks

Matt

Dear customer:

1. CPU must support MMX or SSE2 (codec, NRF, de-interlacing algorithm), above AMD Athlon 900 CPU will have these features support. For this requiremet for MMX or SSE2 we are focusing on CPU.

And the second requirement is for graphic card

2. Display card must support YUY2 hardware stretch. This is individual VGA card issue and is not related to AMD or K7 (except it is on-board).