tmoguy

Need help on camera placement...

I am a capable installer but the camera options and placement have me overwhelmed. My objective to begin with is to provide good video in the front yard. Then down the road add to the back yard. Based on the attached drawing I am open to any suggestions on camera type and placement.

I want to add a DVR card to my home pc. Would like the option of adding cameras at a later date. Would like dome cameras because of their less than obvious look. Not against bullets either but I would like night time visability. Not worried about seeing freckles on faces but would at least like to tell which dog pooped in my yard.

The cedars are approximately 2' below the eave.

Also, if the front yard can be coverred with one camera I can get a good one. But if it requires two then I will have to sacrifice some quality for quantity. Price for cameras in the $200.00 dollar range and DVR card I think I have seen around 200.00.

Are there any pros or cons on using baluns? I like the idea of just running 1 cat5 to the camera.

40097_1.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Baluns add to the overall cost. I'd use RG-59 siames (video & power)

Camera's? I like the EX9100 from CCTV imports. Has IR, filter, and highres. good camera with all the basics that work well.

Camera locations? you are on the right track. Just make sure you take the suns movement into the mix BEFORE you mount.

Baluns add to the overall cost. I'd use RG-59 siames (video & power)

Camera's? I like the EX9100 from CCTV imports. Has IR, filter, and highres. good camera with all the basics that work well.

Camera locations? you are on the right track. Just make sure you take the suns movement into the mix BEFORE you mount.

How about a link to that camera? I did a Google and was not able to find anything.

Thanks!

I found the camera.

[edit by mod-sorry no links from websites that sell at dealer pricing]

Can anyone provide some sample images from this camera?

I'm not good at the uplink stuff....and the free sites are way too messy. I can provide a login/pass, PM me.

Thanks for the replys...

I have read a little more on the DVR's and it loks like I may have trouble with my pc(see bellow). Any suggestions on DVR cards?

HP Pavilion

Celleron CPU 3.06 GHz

504 MB of RAM

200 gig hard rive

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

A couple more things I thought about after posting. The front of the house faces almost due North.

Which direction should I point the cameras? I was thinking of a criss-cross or x pattern, not sure if that would be good.

Do I need 1 or 2 cameras to cover the entire front yard?

Will I get a better camera for the buck going with bullets?

How about something like this? Sony 7400SH Manual Pan/Tilt Color Armor Dome

Thanks,

Steve

You need to decide what your objective is before you choose the camera. If your just wanting an overall view of your front yard, than just about any camera will do, but if your looking to identify somebody that is trying to rip you off, you need to get a little strategic with camera placement.

Take a look at this video:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/tmp/Midnight%20Shopper.wmv

This is using a bullet camera to cover your driveway. If you want something above and beyond that, the general bullet camera probably won't work for you.

Let us know...

I like that look, is that an ir camera? I was under the impression there would be more visable detail. As you can see I know just about nothing about these cameras. Another problem is I don't have a local supplier that I can take back to if I purchase one that doesn't suit my needs.

Would 2 cameras with wide angle lenses cover the entire yard and give me something to identify a person by besides the clothes?

What about adding a 3rd camera by the front door?

I have a camper parked on the driveway side of the house and a utility trailer on the other side of the house. My main purpose in the cameras is protesting these from vandals and doogy patrol.

Thanks,

Steve

A wide angle probably won't give you any kind of recognition untill they are within 3-5 feet from the camera. Puting a couple wide angle cameras will let you know if somebody came into your yard and you might be able to identify the "type" of car they are driving but thats about it. You will not be able to identify much.

A front door camera is a great idea, find something small that you can tuck up in a corner. This will give you a good shot of who is coming to your front door. Another front door camera option is this:

KPC-S190CDV-2T.jpg

Do you have any preventatives like motion lights, window stickers, yard signs, etc... ??? These are great detterents and will often times keep the theif from snooping around your place.

Ideally, you will probably want a camera with some kind of vari-focal lens that you can point right at the driveway or better yet the cars. This will allow you to get a closer look at somebody if they were to come up to the car in the driveway.