Sign in to follow this  
the toss

IP Vs CVI/TVI whats the truth?

I would like to start up a discussion on the pros & cons of IP & high def analogue ( CVI/TVI/AHD). I feel that there is a large amount of (flawed?) misconception about these technologies. Some people think if the letters IP are missing then it must be low quality junk. They seem to be captivated by the IP God & refuse to entertain the possibility that it may not be all it is made out to be.

So come on & give over your thoughts and opinions - I'm sure there is lots to learn.

High definition analogue is great where upgrades are being made to older systems with coax already in place.

The big things that I think goes against such systems in a new install is the cost of good coax cable, the lack of a common standard like ONVIF and no ability to do POE.

People point out the lack of delay in these systems as a plus, but even a delay of a full second in an IP system makes no real difference to the practical application of the system in most cases.

I think that the use of coax is a real plus simply because of its durability so the fact that IP wont run on coax is a mark against it. ONVIF is simply a lobby group pushing their own barrow so I dont understand your comment on a "common standard" - IP cameras for the most part are not interchangeable between manufacturers.

I think that the use of coax is a real plus simply because of its durability so the fact that IP wont run on coax is a mark against it. ONVIF is simply a lobby group pushing their own barrow so I dont understand your comment on a "common standard" - IP cameras for the most part are not interchangeable between manufacturers.

IP cameras will run over COAX and you can poe the cameras via POE over COAX.

Not sure what you mean by "IP cameras for the most part are not interchangeable between manufacturers" as I disagree with this statement.

For me the advantages of TVI/CVI are short lived. The price is great and you for the most part don't have to replace the cabling for them to work but there is no real enterprise solutions yet. Dahua has a CVI encoder but good luck finding a US based distributor which you can order one and get support. You can use Hivision TVI DVRs as encoders if your VMS supports and licenses them properly. So until we can use TVI/CVI cameras with VMS solutions these systems are limited to small camera counts with clumsy GUI interfaces.

I think that the use of coax is a real plus simply because of its durability so the fact that IP wont run on coax is a mark against it.

I've never heard of Cat 5 or 6 cable failing due to age. I think the "durability" of coax is a fairly hollow argument.

ONVIF is simply a lobby group pushing their own barrow so I dont understand your comment on a "common standard"

http://www.onvif.org/About/MemberList.aspx

That's a little more than a lobby group.

- IP cameras for the most part are not interchangeable between manufacturers.

I don't know where you get this idea. Sure the free software will only run the manufacturers cameras but most stand alone NVR will run third party cameras as will paid PC based software.

I like IP over Ethernet as more and more other devices are being run over cat 5E or 6. Newer standards for POE will probably allow for more wattage to allow for higher power to cameras and housings. IP and POE can be run over coax but adaptors can get expensive. One new construction we are seeing very little coax run any more and extra Cat cables run for expansion later on. On a recent library job the only coax run was the feed from the CATV vendor. When you run cat cable all the drops become universal as any IP device can be run from any location where coax is generally an one trick pony

I guess the discussion should be narrowed down a bit. Large scale installations with high end VMS ok. IP simply because all the VMS software is for IP systems. BUT if you are serious about having a SECURE cctv system then by definition it should not be on a network. ie it should be a stand alone system. So now the discussion centres on image capture & transmission. So unless you talk about 20mp images I cannot identify one advantage that IP cameras might have.

I guess the discussion should be narrowed down a bit. Large scale installations with high end VMS ok. IP simply because all the VMS software is for IP systems. BUT if you are serious about having a SECURE cctv system then by definition it should not be on a network. ie it should be a stand alone system. So now the discussion centres on image capture & transmission. So unless you talk about 20mp images I cannot identify one advantage that IP cameras might have.

For starters, with IP there is a wide selection of cameras to chose from. There are options such as the camera itself storing a backup of the video on an sd card. Higher resolutions are possible with IP than hd over coax..if you dont like the options on your NVR you an easily switch to a VMS without having to swap cameras. Tons of VMS options. Most of the time (if the distances are not too long) ip is easier to wire up with POE. If you want audio there are tons of cams with audio connections that dont require running separate audio runs and having a DVR that supports mulichannel audio. If you are working in a particularly difficult environment, you can use a switch to power and transmit data from several cameras and run a single line back to the NVR.

As far as a secure system, an IP system is no more susceptible than an HD over coax.

It's not hard to create stand alone IP CCTV Networks that are physically disconnected from the internet if your security needs are that great. Coax has no advantage of Cat5/6 if the person seeking to listen to your network is able to physically tap into it.