billkater

need suggestion for system to display cameras only

Hello all.

I am looking for something to display IP cameras for a older man. I do not need to record. Or do I need anything fancy. The simpler the better.

The best thing would be to be able to hit the power button and all cameras shown on the screen. No log in or anything like that. He was using a Zmodo system until a power surge fried it.

I would like to use a IP camera so I would only have one network cable running to the nvr (hide switch in attic).

Thanks for the help

Bill

A good approach for this is to use a Windows tablet, with the viewing app auto starting when the device is powered up. This is easy to do with a single cam using a browser, but is trickier with multiple cams, as you'd have to use either viewing software or set up a custom viewer for the browser that shows all the cams tiled.

Blue Iris can do this, as well; it does a lot more than you want, but is good at starting up with all the cams viewing full screen.

An iPad with something like ip cam viewer pro may also do the trick, but he'd have to start the actual app. I haven't had good luck with Android devices running for extended periods, but I may not have used the right ones.

I use ipcamviewer pro on my android phone. Don't think it would work for him. I thought about a laptop and a Web page with the cams on it. But worried about him messing with other stuff on the laptop.

Anyone know of a mini nvr would boot to the display screen? Also how reliable they are.

Get a TRUE/REAL NVR(one with an HDMI output) that's compatible with the cameras or a NVD(network video decoder).

Both should boot directly to the viewing/monitoring screen, with no user interaction.

You did not mention your budget

Can get some cheapest IP cam from aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAVE-XMEYE-IP-CAMERA-1-3MP-IR-CUT-960P-1280X960-Network-camera-Indoor-installation-Hikvision-Dome/32417787247.html

Personally would recommend more expensive Hikvision IP cam (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151491443713)

You'll not need any additional hardware, just install software on Android phone, iPhone or any cheap tablet and your older man can watch it anytime.

Right now I have 3 Foscam cameras. If I could use these it would be a plus. If not then I may go with the Hikvision. i have used these before. Or maybe just a cheap used laptop with a web page setup to display all of his cameras on it.

Cheaper the better is the budget. Disabled vet with limited income. But I want something that works.... No having to fiddle with it every other day or so.

IMHO, the "cheapest" solution is one that works out-of-box, with no interaction from you or from the client. A laptop could crash at any time, might require maintenance or else.

Most good branded devices (and used my most) will work unattended for months or years, since they have a simple job and they are dedicated for that job.

Yeah, for minimum trouble and interaction, it would be hard to go wrong with a dedicated NVR. If you can find one that supports your current cams, that would be ideal. Laptops and tablets are definitely more finicky. If a Hik NVR would support the Foscams, you wouldn't need much hard drive since recording isn't an issue.

I know you said IP camera, but don't forget the simplest way of viewing a camera is an analogue camera going directly to a TV. And they do make HD analogue now. So he just turns on a TV and there is the picture.

I know you said IP camera, but don't forget the simplest way of viewing a camera is an analogue camera going directly to a TV. And they do make HD analogue now. So he just turns on a TV and there is the picture.

This makes no sense at all. How do you connect the hd analog camera to the TV? You need a DVR..in that case an NVR will accomplish the same thing with better image quality and the benefits of IP.

Right now I have 3 Foscam cameras. If I could use these it would be a plus. If not then I may go with the Hikvision. i have used these before. Or maybe just a cheap used laptop with a web page setup to display all of his cameras on it.

Cheaper the better is the budget. Disabled vet with limited income. But I want something that works.... No having to fiddle with it every other day or so.

If you could live with automatically refreshed snapshots and shortcuts to media players like VLC for full-motion video for each Network IP Camera as needed. You could use these free methods, like the ones below without adding any hardware expenses for a NVR/DVR.

You made no mention of what Foscam Network IP Cameras you currently have. So here are two links to these free methods for all Foscam Network IP Camera models. They both have live demos as well:

For Foscam MJPEG based Network IP Camera models:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-ip-mjpeg-cameras-t2522.html#p10970

For Foscam H.264 based Network IP Camera models:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-h-264-cameras-t4341.html#p20338

Live demos using these free methods showing multiple cameras being displayed at the same time. Two different ways:

http://107.170.59.150/foscam/GlobalZoomExample.htm

http://107.170.59.150/foscam/FoscamUS.htm

These methods actually work with any brand and models of Network IP Cameras that can use HTTP/HTTPS URL's to pull snapshots.

These methods are compatible with all Internet browser capable devices running any Operating System and using any browsers. From Computers to Tablets to Phones and TV's. There is no website required to use them. The HTML can be stored locally on any device that wishes to use them.

If you did have a website. You could also use a more secure version of these free methods. More details here about that:

http://foscam.us/forum/showing-secure-methods-using-php-to-display-your-ip-cameras-t8721.html#p42139

I'm also a U.S. Air Force veteran. Thanks for your service.

Don

I have the regular foscam cameras.

I have a Web page setup at my house to view my foscam cameras so I know how to set it up. I get real time video on mine. Set page to refresh every 30 seconds to counter act freeze ups.