Sign in to follow this  
f0x22

2-Camera System - Recommendations?

Hi guys,

New to the forum here. I was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of a 2-camera system for me.

My four story townhouse is being built right now and I am having a one camera looking out onto the driveway under an exterior covered parking and the other camera under an overhang looking at my rooftop patio. I have CAT5 wires run from both camera locations to under my garage stairs, where I plan to have the system box setup. Just above the stairs is my living room where I will have a wall mounted TV and I have a long HDMI cord running from there directly to under the stairs in the garage, where the CAT5 wires lead to.

What security camera system would you recommend for me? I want atleast 720p quality, night vision and the box needs an HDMI port so I can connect and view the live feed on my TV.

Thanks in advance.

It will depend on your goals

Definition/clear picture

720P is 1 megapixel

1080P is 2 megapixel

3 & 4 megapixel systems are common now and really look great.

Yes, cost goes up for the higher resolutions.

HDMI

Most any of the systems have HDMI output now, it's very common.

Night time

So much stuff happens at night. So if you have that goal, then night time capability is key. Having capable IR is one. Also the higher end cameras simply do better in the low light anyway. Even Hikvision's 4MP cams appear to do much better over 3MP cams.

Brand

While mixing Brand A/B typically works (with the ONVIF protocol), it's not exact (plus having the 2 company tech support depts blame each other if something does work). When doing a system from scratch, I simply avoid Brand A/B issues and stay with one brand.

Hi guys,

My four story townhouse is being built right now ...

What security camera system would you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend not being cheap. You are probably spending a bomb building this townhouse, and you want to cheap out on only two cameras? As a minimum pull cable to all the locations you think you may ever want a camera. During construction before the Gyprock goes in is the easiest time to pull cable. Cable is cheap. You lose very little by pulling cables everywhere, even if they never have anything hooked up to them.

I'm assuming you have front and back doors. What about a cameras that cover those areas? Fire escapes? Ground floor windows and other potential points of entry?