Sign in to follow this  
jbinak

Package System Questions

There is loads of good info on this forum, but also conflicting info from different opinions, so I thought I would just ask straight away.

We live in Alaska and have many dogs. We want to be able to watch each dog yard and also be able to see the wildlife that comes and goes from the property to assess what they might be barking at.

The house and kennel building have 250ft or so of conduit running between them.

We were looking at one of the Costco systems like this: http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-12-1080p-Cameras-and-130'-Night-Vision.product.100220740.html

Our budget is in the $1K range. How we could have cameras on both buildings is the question. Or at least have the dvr in the kennel bldg and have a monitor in the main house for the system. The conduit running between the buildings is a small conduit.

Any advice you might offer will be appreciated thusly.

There is loads of good info on this forum, but also conflicting info from different opinions, so I thought I would just ask straight away.

We live in Alaska and have many dogs. We want to be able to watch each dog yard and also be able to see the wildlife that comes and goes from the property to assess what they might be barking at.

The house and kennel building have 250ft or so of conduit running between them.

We were looking at one of the Costco systems like this: http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-12-1080p-Cameras-and-130'-Night-Vision.product.100220740.html

Our budget is in the $1K range. How we could have cameras on both buildings is the question. Or at least have the dvr in the kennel bldg and have a monitor in the main house for the system. The conduit running between the buildings is a small conduit.

Any advice you might offer will be appreciated thusly.

You have three major issues with your linked system. The first is that it is an analogue system. The second is that that it is an analogue system. The third is the cables are only 60'(20m) long, and you have 250'(75m) separation.

If you go with an IP system you can set up a POE router on the far building to link/power the cameras and run a single cat 6 cable through the conduit back to the house where you can have a second POE router and NVR or POE NVR.

Jeff King's on the site!

ok...just kidding

Analog

The linked system is analog. Doing an analog system pretty much means 1-cable per camera (and buying lotsa cable!). So 8 cams on one building then running 8 cables through the tiny conduit to the other building?

I'm guessing there's power available in the kennel building as you mentioned the DVR.

IP System

I'd prefer to go IP. One approach might be to have your 16 port NVR in the main building and do however many cameras you need there using CAT5e/6 cable. Then run one single CAT5e/6 through the conduit to a switch in the kennel building (under 300' is within spec). Ideally, that would be a POE switch if your cams are POE (easy install). Then in the kennel building, you'd connect up any cameras in that building to that switch.

The cams, NVR, etc. just all need to be connected to your local network somehow.

Quick-n-dirty-diagram

with some sample cameras shown as arrows thrown in

276652_1.jpg

Two DVRs/NVRs

This is doable. 8ch in each building...cams go to their respective building's DVR/NVR. Then run a single CAT5e/6 from the kennel building back to the main building to connect that DVR into your network. Then you'd look at one DVR at a time (though they'd still record).

I did meet Jeff like 20 years ago and at the time he trained between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Two DVRs/NVRs

This is doable. 8ch in each building...cams go to their respective building's DVR/NVR. Then run a single CAT5e/6 from the kennel building back to the main building to connect that DVR into your network. Then you'd look at one DVR at a time (though they'd still record).

If you bought decent NVR's you could get the CMS software for them and view everything in a single software instance.

I'm finally getting around to actually ordering this system. I appreciate all of the advice given.

I had asked about sound and someone suggested I get an outdoor specific microphone.

Also, it looks like Costco only sells the 8 channel DVR for this system and not a 16 channel. Is there a 16 channel that will accept microphones that you guys recommend?

This is system in reference:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-and-130'-Night-Vision.product.100217003.html#