Sign in to follow this  
jay2k6ie

Need advise on what system to get.

Hi,

My car (the blue one in the picture below) has been keyed twice in the last few months and I've had enough so I want to setup a camera system that will be good enough to catch the culprits should they be stupid enough to try it again.

The camera will be mounted in a similar position to the picture below and its main focus will be my car across the road. Each incident has happened at night time so it will require good night vision and zoom that will be capable of seeing faces clearly even at night (there are streetlights around so its not completely dark there at night). I have never used CCTV before so I have no idea the type of camera I should buy, DVR etc.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. These vandals have cost me thousands in repairs and now I need to make sure I can catch them should they do it again. Finally I dont have a limitless budget so would love to be able to do this for a few hundred dollars and preferably with an all in one kit (1 camera + DVR) I can find an old 500gb harddrive I'm sure so dont necessarily need a hard drive with the DVR.

276821_1.jpg

Thanks in advance

Is the car going to be parked in the same spot each night? You don’t even need an DVR..just get an IP camera with an SD card slot.

Is the car going to be parked in the same spot each night? You don’t even need an DVR..just get an IP camera with an SD card slot.

Yes the car will be parked there every night or directly in front of the driveway if that space isnt available. What IP camera would you recommend and can you set them to record over itself once the SD card is full? presumably with a 128gb SD I should get a few days recording before it records over itself? Again I'd like the camera to be good enough quality that it can see people around my car across the road clearly. Also as it will be mounted outside how will I access the SD?

Thanks

I'm looking at the ucam247 system which seems to have good reviews. I'm just wondering how the device records on to SD and how I access those recordings?

I'm looking at the ucam247 system which seems to have good reviews. I'm just wondering how the device records on to SD and how I access those recordings?

That is a junk cloud based system...you will not get any good footage. You need to get a camera with a 12mm lens or a varifocal camera that you can precisely adjust. Consider a hikvision 2732F varifocal..or one of these with a 12mm lens

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_accessries_10533_i7584.html

That is a junk cloud based system...you will not get any good footage. You need to get a camera with a 12mm lens or a varifocal camera that you can precisely adjust. Consider a hikvision 2732F varifocal..or one of these with a 12mm lens

Can you please elaborate for me as I am a complete beginner. Does the camera you mentioned record to SD? How can i playback footage?

Can you please elaborate for me as I am a complete beginner. Does the camera you mentioned record to SD? How can i playback footage?

yes, it does record to sd..you need to take the time to read though the ip/megapixel section of the forum and understand the technology and options you have.

I will certainly do this but I'm really looking for a quick solution as my car is being resprayed now and I'd like to have the system up and running by the time it comes back in a few days.

Can you recommend an all in one solution with the camera you mentioned to get me started?

So basically I need a 12mm, 3mp camera with a varifocal lens and that has SD card recording that can overwrite itself once its full. What IP camera would be the best for this?

So basically I need a 12mm, 3mp camera with a varifocal lens and that has SD card recording that can overwrite itself once its full. What IP camera would be the best for this?

Question is though, will the SD card record at 3mp resolution or scale down. I suspect it will scale down thus making the 3mp a waste of time. I have no experience of recording onto SD cards so just a theory.

Question is though, will the SD card record at 3mp resolution or scale down. I suspect it will scale down thus making the 3mp a waste of time. I have no experience of recording onto SD cards so just a theory.

Why do you suspect it will scale down? It wont. Why theorize?

A generally the basic varifolcals are 2.8mm-12mm..its varies depending on how you set it..if you get a 12mm that should be fine as well...it all depends on the distance you mount the camera from the car.

Consider a model with stronger IR. look at the exir hikvisions with 50 or 80m rated IR...

Also not that most of the hikvision cameras on amazon are china region and if you upgrade the firmware they will brick...

One camera may not be enough to nail the rat down. You may add and put some mobile black boxes (very cheap), inside your car.

One camera may not be enough to nail the rat down. You may add and put some mobile black boxes (very cheap), inside your car.

Can you link me to what you're speaking of please.

Consider a model with stronger IR. look at the exir hikvisions with 50 or 80m rated IR...

Also not that most of the hikvision cameras on amazon are china region and if you upgrade the firmware they will brick...

I'm in the UK so where would you recommend I buy Hikvision from with English language?