Sign in to follow this  
ashanta

Motion detection

My CCTV set up was 6 external Swann Pro-642 cameras wired to Swann 960H H.264 DVR. The system was set up for motion detection and worked reasonably but with somewhat too many detections. Therefore, following advice, I bought 2 x Swann Pro series Dome Security Cameras to install inside the house. I have these 2 cameras on motion detection and the external cameras are activated by these 2 internal cameras should they be activated. That was plan! However, no matter how I try, I do not seem to get the 2 internal cameras to work purely on the motion detection settings I have entered. For some reason the cameras are being activated every 5 minutes or so. I have tried in daylight, night time, daytime with curtains closed. I have set very small areas for the activation areas. No matter what I have tried. It has not made the slightest difference. Is there something simple that I have missed?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The trouble with Swann stuff is they are designed to be sellable NOT reliable. I am a bit confused on how you want it to work (internal cameras switching external cameras etc) but never the less an understanding of how the motion detection works may be of some benefit. The motion detection looks for changes in pixel position , colour & intensity in a given area. On high end DVRs all these parameters are settable by the user. On the cheaper ones you may find that they lump all these markers into one average figure and call it sensitivity which is also user adjustable. The really cheap & scabby ones have no adjustment at all.

The trouble with Swann stuff is they are designed to be sellable NOT reliable. I am a bit confused on how you want it to work (internal cameras switching external cameras etc) but never the less an understanding of how the motion detection works may be of some benefit. The motion detection looks for changes in pixel position , colour & intensity in a given area. On high end DVRs all these parameters are settable by the user. On the cheaper ones you may find that they lump all these markers into one average figure and call it sensitivity which is also user adjustable. The really cheap & scabby ones have no adjustment at all.

Thanks for your reply,

I do understand how motion detection works with the Swann kit I have and I am fully conversant with how to set up this Swann system. There are separate adjustments for the area to be covered by motion detection. and there is is a separate sensitivity control which can be broken down into 4 times elements over the 24 hr period. The aim is that the system is set up for pre record. The two internal cameras are set up on motion detection (when I leave the premises) If / when it/they are activated (the internal camera(s)) they in turn trigger the external cameras which have retained the recording of the previous 10 mins and continue to film. This means that if the house is breached I will get the film coverage of the arrival of the burglar also. This is the standard recommended set up by Swann.

The problem I have is that one of the internal cameras is activating every 5 minutes at night. The room is very dark and I have adjusted the sensitivity of the camera gradually until I have reached the maximum without the activation's ceasing. The camera is in IR mode at night and adjusts to normal colour during the day. This change over appears to happen OK. I would just like the camera to activate when it detects motion at night and stop the false activation's as I get an email alert on every single activation.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I've found you have all the advanced setting you need using the Hikvision web login!

Assign the camera an IP, place it on a network switch, add the camera manually to the Swann NVR and tweak all you want.

Swann is reliable, after all it was made by Hikvision.

As far as motion detect, it works well.... but you need to spend time setting it up. AND, yes there will be motion events you don't care about, its the nature of the system. Especially BUGS!