RicardoJS

Q-See QSD2316L DVR Power On Failure

I have a Q-See QSD2316L DVR with four camera's attached, which has been in use for several years. It worked just fine. I forgot that there is a proper Power-down procedure to follow to shut it off. I failed to use this procedure and unplugged the unit and all cameras for about a week while I tidied up my component cabinet.

Upon installation, all of the indicator lights blink (alternating between none and all) and an alarm sounds at the same time when I plug in the power cord. The lights and alarms activate intermittently, but all at the same time. No video is output to the monitor attached to it.

Q-See's web site is seriously deficient and their tech support is unreachable.

One of their knowledge base articles suggest unplugging the power and signal connectors from the hard drive, then plug them back in and power on again. I tried this but it was no help. Another par of the article said to do a "factory reset" on the DVR, instructions to be found the the manual. This information is not found any where in the manual!

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is the DVR trash just because I pulled the plug from it?

Just curious: since no one has replied to my post I wonder why? No interest or no suggestions to help?

I have a Q-See QSD2316L DVR with four camera's attached, which has been in use for several years. It worked just fine. I forgot that there is a proper Power-down procedure to follow to shut it off. I failed to use this procedure and unplugged the unit and all cameras for about a week while I tidied up my component cabinet.

Upon installation, all of the indicator lights blink (alternating between none and all) and an alarm sounds at the same time when I plug in the power cord. The lights and alarms activate intermittently, but all at the same time. No video is output to the monitor attached to it.

One of their knowledge base articles suggest unplugging the power and signal connectors from the hard drive, then plug them back in and power on again. I tried this but it was no help. Another par of the article said to do a "factory reset" on the DVR, instructions to be found the the manual. This information is not found any where in the manual!

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is the DVR trash just because I pulled the plug from it?

:( Just curious: since no one has replied to my post I wonder why? No interest or no suggestions to help?

You did not damage your DVR because you unplugged it...rather moving the dvr likely caused damage to the disk...replace the drive..that is the most common failure...pull the drive out and see if the unit boots and displays anything...if you purchased the unit from costco, simply return it, they have a lifetime return policy..

Edited by Guest

Hi do you get the screen up on dvr once it starts ???

Alarm could also mean camera loss ..... As in no power to cameras have you checked your camera power supply

The support page for this device suggested that it might have something to do with the hard drive. It suggested that I unplug the data and power connectors, wait a minute, then plug them back in. I tried that but it didn't bring it back to life? Why would the hard drive be damaged? If I put a new ha

I also wonder if there isn't a better DVR for my cameras? They connect via BNC; none of the newer boxes I've looked at use this type of connections.

At any rate, thanks for your help. I suppose I can put one of my spare hard drives into it and see if the changes the failure (or fixes it).

:( Just curious: since no one has replied to my post I wonder why? No interest or no suggestions to help?

You did not damage your DVR because you unplugged it...rather moving the dvr likely caused damage to the disk...replace the drive..that is the most common failure...pull the drive out and see if the unit boots and displays anything...if you purchased the unit from costco, simply return it, they have a lifetime return policy..

No, I've not seen any video out of the box. The camera's are powered via A/C connectors that are separate from the DVR.

Hi do you get the screen up on dvr once it starts ???

Alarm could also mean camera loss ..... As in no power to cameras have you checked your camera power supply

I also wonder if there isn't a better DVR for my cameras? They connect via BNC; none of the newer boxes I've looked at use this type of connections.

At any rate, thanks for your help. I suppose I can put one of my spare hard drives into it and see if the changes the failure (or fixes it).

The newer boxes are NVR's and only work with ip cameras...a single ethernet cable transmits data and power (POE)...

If you want to use your old coax cable you can upgrade to much better image quality using HD over analog technology, like this for only 399

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html