Sign in to follow this  
naiefelyemeni

very confused about voltage drop with higher Amps?

Not neccesarily. The biggest mistake people make is they think a 5 amp supply "pushes" out 5 amps. The current a power supply delivers is determined by the load applied ( ie the camera ) Cameras are all different and require different currents for optimal performance. So for two different cameras a power supply may deliver 1 amp for camera A and 2 amps for camera B. It is the current through a conductor that determines the voltage drop. So if camera A is powered by 100m of cable having a resistance of 0.01 ohm / m (total loop resistance of 2 ohms) and is supplied by a 12V power supply then the voltage drop from power supply to camera would be current (1A) times resistance ( 2ohm ) for a total drop of 2Volts. Now if camera A was replaced with camera B it would be 2amp times 2 volt resulting in a 4 volt drop. It doesn't matter if the power supply is a 5 amp supply or a 500 amp supply as long as it can deliver what is required.

Not neccesarily. The biggest mistake people make is they think a 5 amp supply "pushes" out 5 amps. The current a power supply delivers is determined by the load applied ( ie the camera ) Cameras are all different and require different currents for optimal performance. So for two different cameras a power supply may deliver 1 amp for camera A and 2 amps for camera B. It is the current through a conductor that determines the voltage drop. So if camera A is powered by 100m of cable having a resistance of 0.01 ohm / m (total loop resistance of 2 ohms) and is supplied by a 12V power supply then the voltage drop from power supply to camera would be current (1A) times resistance ( 2ohm ) for a total drop of 2Volts. Now if camera A was replaced with camera B it would be 2amp times 2 volt resulting in a 4 volt drop. It doesn't matter if the power supply is a 5 amp supply or a 500 amp supply as long as it can deliver what is required.

i see.. so how am i going to figure out what i need. this is driving me nuts.. is 3 185 foot runs and the rest are shorter runs. using 1 twisted pair for pos power and 2 pairs for negative using a 30amp box only 11 ports used.. how come the far cameras are suffering? i thought 185ft is nothing? and 30 amps is enough?

Hi for that run your going to need 3 twisted pair for pos and neg.

Then your 30amp power supply ..... How many output does it have ?

Yeah I'm hitting my head for not

Doing

That now I gotta go to half the cameras and change up the wires..

It's a 30amp 18 port.. I'm only using 11 ports.. I've done most of my previous installs using 10amp -20 amp boxes using all ports no problem? But never this long.. Maybe 120feet this install pushing 170-185..and using cat5 for first time..

image.thumb.jpg.4fc48afefea473dc06c3f130dfc68107.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.278d8865aeb9f5a7e4241e6e929cc259.jpg

Yes but those cameras draw at most 1 amp.. So what do you think? It's probably voltage drop

Since its only on the farthest cameras.? And you think adding one more wire for the positive will

Make the difference? On the calculator it said it would go up 1 volt , that's good enough?

Yes but those cameras draw at most 1 amp.. So what do you think? It's probably voltage drop

Since its only on the farthest cameras.? And you think adding one more wire for the positive will

Make the difference? On the calculator it said it would go up 1 volt , that's good enough?

Voltage is not your problem it's your amps

Your camera might only be 1amp ..... But you will need 2 to 3 amp for that distance ..... And also take into account IR

Your camera might only be 1amp ..... But you will need 2 to 3 amp for that distance ..... And also take into account IR

I'm confused, the Voltage calculator says The higher the Amp Load the bigger the voltage drop??

I'm very confused here..

I would re-think that statement Tom. The current does not change throughout a series circuit. The current that flows at one end is the same as what flows at the other end. The flow of this current through a resistive line causes a voltage difference from one end to the other - the greater the flowing current then the greater the voltage differential. This is what the OP is having trouble with.

Its probably no use to you now but normal practice for longer runs is to go with 24Vac power & cameras (no earth loop issues either)

I would re-think that statement Tom. The current does not change throughout a series circuit. The current that flows at one end is the same as what flows at the other end. The flow of this current through a resistive line causes a voltage difference from one end to the other - the greater the flowing current then the greater the voltage differential. This is what the OP is having trouble with.

Its probably no use to you now but normal practice for longer runs is to go with 24Vac power & cameras (no earth loop issues either)

Ok it seems to be a ground loop or

Interference that's messing up all these cameras.. I'm using now 12 different power sources boxes , wall warts mix and all cameras are clear now??

I didn't want to go through 32 wires to see which ones has the interference.. But it looks so messy now.. : ( but customer is happy now or at least that's what I

Think lol