Lars_G

Rotated camera?

Greetings.

Doing a setup with 10 points for someone. Now there is one point I'm going crazy about, and I wonder if I'm crazy about my idea. We're going with networked hikvision cameras plus an NVR. It's several dome cameras for inside home, but there will be 4 outside cameras, 1 dome in a little ceiling over main door at 4mm looking down. But then there's cameras 15 meters away to guard the door (and the dome over door), and the garage door and another camera over garage door which guards the cameras in the corner... here is a little sketch of the garage door side of things: http://i.imgur.com/rkyxsZW.jpg now, since they're 15m away on outdoors I was thinking about DS-2CD2232-I5 EXIR cameras ( http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_159_i5249.html ) ( In previous experiences with domes/bullets, I find their claims of "30m ir reach exaggerated, specially on such large outdoors settings, thus an exir camera). But being 16:9 and the cameras being 15m away, and 7m over the floor level, the lens calculations do not produce anything logical, until I came with the idea of putting the cameras on their side, turning them into 9:16, and I see the cameras provide image rotation, so I can rotate 90° (or 270°) to produce a visually understandable image. According to calculations, in camera A with a 6mm lens (I'd use 6mm for all 3 cameras), I should be able to see camera B and see the floor of the garage door at 7.35m from the camera, which is enough to cover more than the whole garage door which goes from 8m to 15m from camera.... am I crazy or is this a good solution?

Greetings.

am I crazy or is this a good solution?

Not at all. Its the reason why the 90 degree rotation is there. Sometimes it is called corridor or hallway mode.