Sign in to follow this  
jaybo

New system design thoughts - PC based NVR

Ubuntu 14.04.3

Zoneminder or BlueIris (running in a VM on the linux server)

i5-4570

16 GB ram

8 port SaS -> Sata expander

6 onboard sata

120gb ssd os drive

~20 TB of hard drives

several raid6 arrays WD REDS and other misc driver I had kicking around (eventually will go to WD PURPLE)

2 x Swann SWNHD-825CAM @ 3mp

Trendnet TPE-S44 8port (4 PoE) 10/100 mbps switch

Existing switchs/routers

All connections are GbE, except for cameras/trendnet switch.

The plan;

Ive tested the setup with the cameras running to the switch, and the switch connected to an existing router in the house as well as the server connected to the router.

Everything works well.

I'd like to utilize the 2048x1536 res of the cameras. They can do 2048x1536 @ 20 FPS with a maximum bitrate of 12288 kbps (1536 kB/s). I think I value the higher resolution over the extra 10 FPS @ 1920x1080.

Realistically, what bitrate do I want to use? I read on another post here that they recommended 4096 kbps. 1500 kB/s x 2 Cameras @ lets say 12hours of recording a day is alot of disk space/network bandwidth (+100 GB a day)

I think I will be utilizing motion detection during the day, but wil do a full time record during the night as I know the motion detection will not be that great in low light.

Is there a benefit to connecting the cameras/poe switch directly to the server (through a second nic card)? The only reason I say this is to alleviate network traffic from the rest of the switches, as the server is the only thing that needs to see the cameras anyway.

Ubuntu 14.04.3

Zoneminder or BlueIris (running in a VM on the linux server)

i5-4570

16 GB ram

8 port SaS -> Sata expander

6 onboard sata

120gb ssd os drive

~20 TB of hard drives

several raid6 arrays WD REDS and other misc driver I had kicking around (eventually will go to WD PURPLE)

2 x Swann SWNHD-825CAM @ 3mp

Trendnet TPE-S44 8port (4 PoE) 10/100 mbps switch

Existing switchs/routers

All connections are GbE, except for cameras/trendnet switch.

The plan;

Ive tested the setup with the cameras running to the switch, and the switch connected to an existing router in the house as well as the server connected to the router.

Everything works well.

I'd like to utilize the 2048x1536 res of the cameras. They can do 2048x1536 @ 20 FPS with a maximum bitrate of 12288 kbps (1536 kB/s). I think I value the higher resolution over the extra 10 FPS @ 1920x1080.

Realistically, what bitrate do I want to use? I read on another post here that they recommended 4096 kbps. 1500 kB/s x 2 Cameras @ lets say 12hours of recording a day is alot of disk space/network bandwidth (+100 GB a day)

I think I will be utilizing motion detection during the day, but wil do a full time record during the night as I know the motion detection will not be that great in low light.

Is there a benefit to connecting the cameras/poe switch directly to the server (through a second nic card)? The only reason I say this is to alleviate network traffic from the rest of the switches, as the server is the only thing that needs to see the cameras anyway.

3mp only increases the vertical fov, there is no added clarity to the 1080p image (its negligible)....

You dont need a second network card. As long as the pc and cameras are connected to the same switch, the traffic will not pass through your router. Generally a bitrate over 4096 does not yield better results...its a waste. You can run your cameras at 15fps, its more than enough...

3mp only increases the vertical fov, there is no added clarity to the 1080p image (its negligible)....

You dont need a second network card. As long as the pc and cameras are connected to the same switch, the traffic will not pass through your router. Generally a bitrate over 4096 does not yield better results...its a waste. You can run your cameras at 15fps, its more than enough...

you know I never really looked at it that way, you're right, 1920x1080 vs 2048x1536 is no better horizontal resolution.

thanks !

The network is setup as follows

Cameras -> Trendnet PoE router -> Linksys 5ghz router -> Cable modem/router -> NVR PC

2 cameras @ 4096kbps is only 1 mb/sec (7-11mbit)

Go n Read the specification of image sensors from ominvision site. You should find that 720P/1080P/3MP/4MP/6MP/8MP.../16MP are based on the same image sensor. In terms of true resolution fidelity, they are the same. Wow and Hmmmm...

That means 720P camera commands truely the best / genuine quality resolution. What other resolution cameras???? They may simply have increased (scaled up) resolution because they knew they may play on end-users for more money.

But you may be inviting all sorts of tech problems, by simply increasing the size of video images, letting alone your own money. We can not deny there are, in this forum, some people always promoting new IP cameras, claiming more sizes, even claiming better resolution. Quite misleading...

Go n Read the specification of image sensors from ominvision site. You should find that 720P/1080P/3MP/4MP/6MP/8MP.../16MP are based on the same image sensor. In terms of true resolution fidelity, they are the same. Wow and Hmmmm...

That means 720P camera commands truely the best / genuine quality resolution. What other resolution cameras???? They may simply have increased (scaled up) resolution because they knew they may play on end-users for more money.

But you may be inviting all sorts of tech problems, by simply increasing the size of video images, letting alone your own money. We can not deny there are, in this forum, some people always promoting new IP cameras, claiming more sizes, even claiming better resolution. Quite misleading...

Please ignore sunny kim. Here is proof that all image sensors are not the samel

1) hikvision camera with 1/3 sensor.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_accessries_10531_i7563.html

2) hikvision cameras with 1/1.8 sensor

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162153-REG/hikvision_darkfighter_series_ds_2cd4526fwd_izh_2mp.html

So no sunnykim you are wrong. Unless 1/3 and 1/1.8 are the same? I thought the chinese were good at math...

Even with the 1/3 sensors, the higher resolution cameras provide more pixel per inch, you simply cannot get around that fact.

Sunny, why dont you hop down to hikvision down the road and pickup a camera to see for your self. You obviously have never tested 720p vs 1080p..

Do you need me to link a youtube video again? We are not dumb americans like you think sunny. Its all in the videos sunny.. A video is worth a million words. You can rant and rave otherwise but the videos prove your are lying. Personal experience from anyone here who has installed 720p and 1080p cameras also proves you are lying.

So until you can explain the differences in the videos or how hikvision has different size sensors when you say they are all the same, you need to stop misinforming end users here. We dont want to buy your companies low end analog junk.

Oh, please google and read "OV16880". Good reason 720P claims the best. All CCTV members should know. Period.

First of all, omnivision is not the only supplier of sensors. Second, have you even bothered to look at the youtube videos? have you ever compared 1080p camera to a 720p camera? Please explain why the image is clearer in the 1080p camera if everything is the same. Something must be different. Right?

Please explain the difference otherwise anything else you say is pointless.

You should also check Aptina, as well. The same as Omni. As said, the prime sensor companies do focus on smart phones, more than 2 B pieces. They do not care about IP camera market, which is less than 5 % of it. Assessing Image quality is Quite Subjective. So you may stick to your belief. I would stick to mine. I can also predict some would pop up in 3 months, saying 4MP should be junks and new 5MP a superb, without saying these are based on the same sensors as 720P. Just because I do not like the innocent users are being mislead.

You should also check Aptina, as well. The same as Omni. As said, the prime sensor companies do focus on smart phones, more than 2 B pieces. They do not care about IP camera market, which is less than 5 % of it. Assessing Image quality is Quite Subjective. So you may stick to your belief. I would stick to mine. I can also predict some would pop up in 3 months, saying 4MP should be junks and new 5MP a superb, without saying these are based on the same sensors as 720P. Just because I do not like the innocent users are being mislead.

I have never said 720p is junk. I said analog D1 is junk and that your company sells junk since they only make analog.

Assessing image resolution quality is subjective?

Did you not watch the video? with one you can read the numbers with the other your cannot..there is NOTHING subjective about it. Explain how the higher res cameras produce a better image?

WE ARE NOT BLIND.

Have you ever held a 1080p camera in your hand? I doubt it. My suggestion is to walk down the block and pick one up from hikvision.

I have never said 720p is junk. I said analog D1 is junk and that your company sells junk since they only make analog.

Did you not watch the video? with one you can read the numbers with the other your cannot..there is NOTHING subjective about it. Explain how the higher res cameras produce a better image?

WE ARE NOT BLIND.

Have you ever held a 1080p camera in your hand? I doubt it. My suggestion is to walk down the block and pick one up from hikvision.

From many threads, I noticed you live on promoting 4MP cameras, these days. And I expect you would for 5MP as soon as your Master directs you to start. You bet.

WE ARE NOT BLIND.

From many threads, I noticed you live on promoting 4MP cameras, these days. And I expect you would for 5MP as soon as your Master directs you to start. You bet.

You need to read my posts more. I actually recommend 1080p and even 720p for low light...read my posts, you will learn a lot.

Stop defecting the question. Why can we all see a difference in the youtube video? Why can I see a difference in my cams? Busted.

That means 720P camera commands truely the best / genuine quality resolution.

I don't believe this to be true.

I have found zero independent tests that support this.

SK's statement appears to be unsupported.