rtp

CAT5E Unused Pairs Question

I recently ran 'CAT-6 CABLE OUTDOOR UNDERGROUND DIRECT BURIAL WIRE WATERPROOF' out to two sheds in the back yard for IP 3MP security cameras. For which I rented a trench digger.

One run was 130 feet from house to a small shed (plus 20 feet in the house) and the other was 70 feet from house to a larger shed (plus 50 feet in the house).

I read that of the 4 pairs of wire only 2 pairs are used.

I want to add another IP camera to the large shed and would like to avoid running more CAT-6 cable.

Questions:

1) is it true that only 2 pairs are used for IP cameras (SWANN NHD-815 IP 3MP)?

2) if only 2 pairs are used can I split out the other two pairs (at each end of the run into standard connectors) and support another IP camera?

If I do not get advice to don't waste my time splitting the wires I will give this 'Rube Goldberg' idea a try.

Thanks in advance for any feed back. Yes I am a novice with this. Yes I have a Network Cat5 Cat6 Wire Tester and will use a Cat6 In-Line Couplers to avoid damage to the existing cable.

Yes only two pairs are used if you are using a standard switch/poe switch which use mode A...if you are using a midspan injector many of those generally use mode B which will not leave unused pairs.

If you have power at the shed, use a switch as suggested above, its the proper solution and cheap.

Thanks, I like the idea of using a hardware switch to combine the two security cameras' data over the CAT6 cable from the shed to the house. Yes small price to pay and yes the shed has electric power to support the TP-LINK switch.

The NVR recorder in the house has eight channels with four in use. With this CAT6 cable now connected to two cameras using the TP-LINK how do I separate the signals back out to two lines/channels for input to the NVR. This would be adding a fifth input to the NVR. Where existing channel 4 and the new channel 5 are coming in from the shed.

I have looked at the various illustrations of applications for the TP-LINK switches but they all appear to be joining multiple sources into one like a funnel, I have not seen where the combined data is later separated out.

Is the TP-LINK robust enough so that a second TP-LINK in the house would recognize a combined data flow being input and break it back out into two ports? If not then probably more expensive hardware would be needed. Would that be some sort of router? Thanks

Thanks, I like the idea of using a hardware switch to combine the two security cameras' data over the CAT6 cable from the shed to the house. Yes small price to pay and yes the shed has electric power to support the TP-LINK switch.

The NVR recorder in the house has eight channels with four in use. With this CAT6 cable now connected to two cameras using the TP-LINK how do I separate the signals back out to two lines/channels for input to the NVR. This would be adding a fifth input to the NVR. Where existing channel 4 and the new channel 5 are coming in from the shed.

I have looked at the various illustrations of applications for the TP-LINK switches but they all appear to be joining multiple sources into one like a funnel, I have not seen where the combined data is later separated out.

Is the TP-LINK robust enough so that a second TP-LINK in the house would recognize a combined data flow being input and break it back out into two ports? If not then probably more expensive hardware would be needed. Would that be some sort of router? Thanks

You dont need to separate anything out...its a network switch...

It should plug directly into the NVR and work...if not, connect it to your router or any other switch on your network, it will certainly work (you will have to manually enter the IP address of the cameras in your NVR)...

If your cameras are poe, use this for a clean install, http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446210654&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=poe+switch&psc=1

Hi,

Don't know if you have done this yet, but, if I remember correctly on a Cat5, pins #4,5 are for power, and #8 is for ground. I remember this because of adding POE through Cat5 to a camera setup.

Your question is valid, because only specific wires are used in Cat5. You should be able to find a good pin out reference somewhere online.