Sign in to follow this  
Eyehook

700 TVL camera or not?

Hi, I wondered if you experienced CCTV members can confirm something for me?

I bought a optical remote zoom box camera from ebay and the seller said, it was 700TVL. Well I'm no pro at this but the manual says, 480TVL. I'm not sure I have read the specification right but will post the link to the item I bought on ebay.

I contacted the seller about this and they say, 480TVL chips or something are no longer being made. They also claim, the manual is wrong. Maybe I'm wrong but thought I would ask here as it's about CCTV.

Can't always believe what sellers tell you.

This is the box camera I bought.

39X 700TVL SONY CCD 3.6~97.2MM Optical Zoom Lens CCTV BOX Camera With Remote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171916585722?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D171916585722%26_rdc%3D1#ht_3200wt_1033

This one here is 480TVL and likely would of bought this. Seems to be the specification as the other one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171779316174?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

What do you make of the camera apart from the TVL issue? I must say, the auto focus is not very good and I have to manual adjust it, often when zooming.

558833724_Boxcamera480TVLnot700TVLb.thumb.jpg.c51b8e48a4ceef2c387c3be85c9b744e.jpg

Edited by Guest

My apologies. Maybe this should of been posted in the residential cameras section, as that’s what I am.

Anyway here is some of the reply from the seller about the issue above.

We are 100% sure the camera is 7000TVL as listing, regarding the user manual is not correct, due to the user manual is for old model, we are factory and we cant make the user manual one by one if we got any quantity order such as 1pcs or 10pcs,so we make it Tens of thousands of one time. Now we are still have stock of the user manual,so we send it with the 700TVL camera,we will change new version user manual soon after finished the stock,we are very sorry that make yo confused.

You said the camera is 480TVL is impossible due to now 480TVL PCB board is stop produce one year ago,just like sharp ccd board, the company is closed down. Now the minimal resolution is 600TVL,480TVL is not avaiable sooner.

If you bought it, then you use it till it dies. TVL indicates Horizontal Contrast, not vertical line number. As long as you like the video quality, you do not need to care about "TVL number".

Hi SunnyKim.

I bought the camera under the impression it was 700 TVL. So I paid more for that than I needed to. As the second link I posted, is cheaper and would of arrived quicker. The second link, box camera says 480 TVL.

Always thought TVL was important as 480 TVL is not very good today. If it is indeed only 480 TVL, I could return it, as it would be incorrect but seller says, thinks it is 700 TVL.

That is my reason for asking here you see.

Camera is OK but AF is not great at long zoom. Quality is what I wanted from the box camera, as well as zoom.

The second 480TVL link I posted, shows these images. Would you say that Is good for a 480TVL?

280792_1.jpg

The video information captured at analog camera is carried under the format of NTSC or PAL TV Signal. The TV Signal is limted up to about Max 3 Mega Hertz, very small. The OLD DVD/ VCR Player generates the same TV signal. You may have liked its visual quality. Even the information of 480 TVL can not be fully contained by 3Mhz bandwidth. In other words, I mean 480 TVL is good enough. 700 TVL could be better just because they are new and techwise, most likely, more advanced from 480 TVL. The 700 TVL could be cheaper than 480TVL. But we can not be sure always TRUE. So if you do not like the quality, you can return it. One thing for sure is that 720P-HDCVI/HDTVI/AHD cameras are better in theory, than new 960H analog camera, if the cable length is not that long, say 100 Meter.

Hi. No way is that a 97mm lens

As far as TVL it says 700 but remember China specs give it for black and white So it could be a 520TVL

But what are you going to expect for that price.

If you want a camera to work well take a look at a CNB 38x