jstatham

Help with System design

Hello everyone. We have had several things stolen in my house as well as my area. For example a 20 ft enclosed trailer, tools, compressor. In our nearby area we have had everything from trailers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles,golf carts, etc. I am wanting to add in a CCT cameras and a complete video surveillance system to my house. I am wanting to add 6 cameras outside my house and roughly 2 down by my driveway. The problem is my driveway is 600 ft away from my house with no power. I do have wifi inisde my house as well as ran cat 6 all over my house. My question is I want all the cameras to connect to the same DVR. If I go wireless I don't want it to cripple or kill my home network. I can run power and wires to the street if it is absolutely necessary. Please tell me what you would recommend as well as links. I would like 1080p cameras but would not install anything less than 720. Thanks in advance for your help.

600ft is OK for analog cameras, but is quite challenge for sending HD sized video to your remote DVR. So, your choice may have to narrow down to IP camera system. 600 ft becomes also challenge for sending DC power (not AC) for cameras.

Hello everyone. We have had several things stolen in my house as well as my area. For example a 20 ft enclosed trailer, tools, compressor. In our nearby area we have had everything from trailers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles,golf carts, etc. I am wanting to add in a CCT cameras and a complete video surveillance system to my house. I am wanting to add 6 cameras outside my house and roughly 2 down by my driveway. The problem is my driveway is 600 ft away from my house with no power. I do have wifi inisde my house as well as ran cat 6 all over my house. My question is I want all the cameras to connect to the same DVR. If I go wireless I don't want it to cripple or kill my home network. I can run power and wires to the street if it is absolutely necessary. Please tell me what you would recommend as well as links. I would like 1080p cameras but would not install anything less than 720. Thanks in advance for your help.

This may be a bit "out there" idea, but since you need 2 cameras 600 feet away and have no power, let's assume you'll be trenching in power. How about running fiber along with the power cable, then at the ends put a ethernet-to-fiber converter (something like TP-LINK MC200CM). You'd need some sort of junction box for this stuff, so in there put a PoE switch and use direct bury ethernet to the cameras.

It might not be the cheapest, but it shouldn't be horrible and you can use any IP camera you want. And won't be using unreliable wireless.

I just remembered that I actually have a phone line ran from the street to my house. I don't use it anymore. What if I just used that phone line and setup and 12 volt battery with an inverter and a charging solar panel? If I go that route what would you recommend as far as camera and inverted etc.

I just remembered that I actually have a phone line ran from the street to my house. I don't use it anymore. What if I just used that phone line and setup and 12 volt battery with an inverter and a charging solar panel? If I go that route what would you recommend as far as camera and inverted etc.

I feel using a solar panel is going to cause problems. Sure it can be done, but you won't know exactly how large of one you need, how the batteries will do in the cold (don't know where you live), and what happens if you have many cloudy days. You could get this working with a lot of experimentation and testing, something you might not want to do.

Thanks. I live in Georgia so it cold but not too cold. I also get batteries at cost so after I buy my kit I will figure out the best way. I guess there is no way to send the power down the phone line is there? I believe it has 2 pairs.

Thanks. I live in Georgia so it cold but not too cold. I also get batteries at cost so after I buy my kit I will figure out the best way. I guess there is no way to send the power down the phone line is there? I believe it has 2 pairs.

You can send power down the phone line, and especially by using a high voltage, say 48V which is what telephone runs at anyway, the current would be low, meaning less voltage loss. What you do with it then is up to you. 48V is what PoE uses which is convenient. But you still need data communications. I've seen DSL modems that can be connected to both ends of a twisted pair and ta da, you have a data link, but I don't know what speed you'd get or what this costs.

Hi . No they will not work with your existing cable ..... Plus you would be on analog with them baluns

With a 600ft drive why not use IP cameras ........ If you use daisy chain cameras it will allow you to have a camera at start of drive way and another at the end ..... Or 1 half way .

At least you can see who is at your drive entrance and a camera half way to also watch