superjon

CCTV Over A Large Area...Please Help

I need help as quickly as possible for a job I have been asked to do? However, this one is a bit outside of my experience level. If I wanted to put Security cameras across a several mile stretch, perhaps 3 miles, and cannot have hard-wired internet at every camera, what would my options be?

I am looking to put security cameras up at several traffic lights in a small town for the police station. They will be stationary IP cameras. They will not be PTZ, but they will be high resolution...perhaps 3mp is what I am considering. Ultimately, all of the camera feeds need to be recorded by an NVR at the police station.

The traffic lights are all along the same main road that goes through town. and stretch about 3 miles. There will be four cameras at every intersection so that there is a clear view in every direction. To make the situation more interesting, there are hills so its not all "Line of sight."

What kind of equipment would be proper for this type of situation?

I appreciate all your help!

Thanks

First check and see if their is any fiber installed as that would be the best type of backbone for this. If you have power everywhere you may have to go to wireless check out ubiquity as they have many different access points for various distances. If this is a first time install I would at least hire an outside consulant

to design. Ideally get a contract for design/build. This will not be a cheap project.

There's definitely no fiber on the lines.

I've definitely looked into the ubiquiti options. The problem with there equipment for this use is that 2.4ghz will not be happy trying to go over hills and through many buildings/trees while still being pummeled by all the many other 2.4ghz signals along the way from other various devices in the area.

If I used their equipment, I would have to do everything in a repeater fashion and it would have to be several levels of repeaters repeating repeaters. I can only imagine how fast the signal integrity would be degraded.

I may shoot them an email, and see what their thoughts are. I have reason I will need to use something in the 900mhz band.

They have several different frequency options so you are not stuck with 2.4 I have used engunis (spelling !)

and they among several others have 900 mhz equipment. If you have to run wire I would look at running as much fiber as possible as it could be used for many different things.

Are the traffic lights currently synchronized? Is there spare space in those conduits?

One option is to put Internet gateways on nearby buildings to each traffic light. It's considerably more hassle in permission and maintenance, but it does simplify the wireless network planning.