BBMW

Better DVRs for Analog Camera Systems

Hello,

I currently have an 8 camera system with an 8 channel DVR. The DVR has apparently died. It is a five year old Nuvico. The installer said it couldn't be fixed. So I'm looking for a new one.

I'd like to get a 12 channel unit to replace it, in order to have some expansion capacity. My question is, what are the better brands/models? And is it likely a unit would last only five years. I have no idea what the normal lifetime is.

Any help appreciated.

Hello,

I currently have an 8 camera system with an 8 channel DVR. The DVR has apparently died. It is a five year old Nuvico. The installer said it couldn't be fixed. So I'm looking for a new one.

I'd like to get a 12 channel unit to replace it, in order to have some expansion capacity. My question is, what are the better brands/models? And is it likely a unit would last only five years. I have no idea what the normal lifetime is.

Any help appreciated.

Hi. BBMW. I have systems over 10 years old still going strong ..... A little unit service once a year ... All dust out and every two years replace Hdrive. It's like anything ... Can last 1 year or years.

If your looking for something to last look for a hybrid unit .... That way in years to come you can add IP cameras and also mix and match what you have now

Thanks. That brings up two questions. Can one just drop a new HD into a DVR, and the DVR will just format it and use it? Or does the user have to have the OS software in order to do this?

And, as far as a hybrid DVR, what make/models do you recommend?

Hi. BBMW. I have systems over 10 years old still going strong ..... A little unit service once a year ... All dust out and every two years replace Hdrive. It's like anything ... Can last 1 year or years.

If your looking for something to last look for a hybrid unit .... That way in years to come you can add IP cameras and also mix and match what you have now

As long as the replacement surveillance hard-drive is compatible with the DVR, you're good to go. Install it, format it and start using it again. Now if there is a failure not related to the hard-drive, then you're probably done. As far as the longevity of hard-drives goes, I've had them fail in 2 weeks and on the other end, run 10 years or more.

BBMW, are you an installer or business owner? Any case, look at Dahua Tribrid DVRs. Theyre backwards compatible(analog) + HD-CVI + IP as well. Easier to setup, more efficient, and lower priced than Hik.

Hello,

Any help appreciated.

If you dont want to replace your cabling and you are in the US, costco is a great source for hd over analog units. They offer lifetime returns.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-with-80'-Night-Vision.product.100159617.html

The image quality on these cams will blow away your current setup. This is a dahua rebranded CVI system.

2 things about that Costco system mentioned...1)it's not even a hybrid let alone tribrid DVR, so non-compatible with analog or future IP camera installs. 2) lifetime return policy applies to returning the ENTIRE system purchased if even one single camera fails. So switching/upgrading to a different style camera later, means voiding the return policy.

But it's still an option, though. Just not the best option.

Tribrid units are a waste of time and pointless

When most people upgrade its from analog or they want to use existing cameras and add IP .... Which is hybrid

Tribrid ... The cvi tvi side mean also having to add them cameras .... Why when can add IP

Essentially the business owner. We brought in a company to do the installation.

BBMW, are you an installer or business owner? Any case, look at Dahua Tribrid DVRs. Theyre backwards compatible(analog) + HD-CVI + IP as well. Easier to setup, more efficient, and lower priced than Hik.

I'm not looking for a package including cameras. Just a DVR. I'll probably go with a 16 channel unit to have expansion capacity. I'll never use all 16 (at least from what I can think now. But I could easily see adding a couple more.

2 things about that Costco system mentioned...1)it's not even a hybrid let alone tribrid DVR, so non-compatible with analog or future IP camera installs. 2) lifetime return policy applies to returning the ENTIRE system purchased if even one single camera fails. So switching/upgrading to a different style camera later, means voiding the return policy.

But it's still an option, though. Just not the best option.