MikeB

Newb setting up simple security system...need some advice

What I'm trying to do ...... Set up a small home security system with 2, possibly 3 cameras using a PC with a DVR card.

Just have a few questions, I'll try to be brief.

1) Which DVR card will give me the best bang for the buck? Currently looking at a Geovision GV-250-4 . Willing to spend more if necessary.

2) How worried should I be about FPS rates? If a card is rated at 20 FPS, and I have 4 cameras, do I get 20 FPS on each camera or do I divide by 4? What framerate will give me decent picture quality?

3) I would like to have at least one wireless camera included in my setup. Can I use a wireless camera with the Geovision card? What additional equipment do I need to do this? A Wireless card? Router? The distance from the camera to the P.C. will be no more than 100 feet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks every1.

Hi and welcome ..

Re the DVR card, okay using Smart motion detection you can end up with varying rates, depending on which or how many cameras are picking up motion at one time .. so if only one is picking up motion you will get the full FPS on that camera which looks like real time to the human eye. For a home system it is fine, it is also very stable hardware, and the software also .. ive been running the GV250-2 in my development and home AMD Via system from last year .. minimized ... its great.

Rory

OK that makes total sense now. Good to know that it's stable with the AMD/VIA setup. Thanks for the info rory. What about using a wireless camera?

You could use a wireless IP camera with wireless router or a good old analog wireless transmitter and receiver. Is there a clean line of site between where you want to put the camera to the DVR?? If not try to have the receiver and transmitter wired to were at least they will have a clean line of site.

Funny you should mention that... I Have a new puppy that needs constant monitoring and I'm using a 4 channel DVR system with cameras in the rooms he has access to to monitor his activity and catch him being bad during his training time

'only simple security system is a DOG! Laughing'

I wish... Had one dog stolen (but returned via the police) and another that just went missing one day (presumed stolen)... Wish I had a security system watching the dogs!

Mike,

If you want a wireless camera in your location consider some things:

Are there any devices putting off rf signal already in the home that could interfere?? Wireless router, phone,etc? Most wirelss cameras are gonna be 2.4ghz or 900mhz. You need to determine what distance is required for your application, and keep in mind any obstacles between the transmitter and reciever. Also consider the cost of going wireless as compared to hardwired. It might be cheaper to just run the cable (or have a licensed installer do it for you, which i recommend) and be done with it. In regard to wireless cameras don't be fooled by cheap wireless stuff and advertised ranges. Alot of wireless products advertised say they'll go 1000ft los but in reality they barely go 40ft. Just be cautious. If you want good quality wireless products your gonna pay for the quality product, But at least you'll know it works and doesn't crap out in a few days. I've seen quality merchandise perform perfectly one day and then be jumpy the next day, so be patient with whatever you purchase and don't get frustrated if certain days it's pefect and others it's kinda jumpy. Just some thoughts for you to consider. Hope it works out well for you.