djones2016

High Voltage Present

Hi guys, Not an installer/pro here so please be tolerant. Im going to keep this short and sweet. I have one of those older Bolide SVR9000 8 channel DVR's. Im replacing 2 outdoor bullet cameras and started feeling that familiar pulsing of higher ac voltage thru my arm to the rain gutters my elbow was touching. I put my meter on the camera housing and was getting 70+volts ac to an outside ground. Uh, this aint normal right? I have been using this system for about a year now, I just didnt want to jump to conclusions and start ripping out all of my cctv wiring. My origional cameras are still working, although I frequently get the rolling white ghost bands from camera 1.

Please guys, dont smack me too hard if this is something simple stupid.

Few questions:

- Are all cameras connected to the same power supply?

- Are all power supplies connected to grounded outlets?

- Is any camera fixed to the metal surface?

Hey

Thanks for asking. Ill answer both replies at same time.

This particular setup just has the two cameras, both individually fed by their own individual power supply, both power supplies are on the same multi-outlet as the dvr and its monitor. All connections to multi-outlet are just two plug, polarized neutral (no 3rd ground plug). I will check the outlet and the multi-outlet to see if there are any shorts. Possibly the ground is compromised somewhere else and is feeding into the neutral. DVR having an internal ground which is shared with the outside shielding of the RG59 etc. sends the voltage to cameras, Im holding camera my elbow touches metal gutter...

The cameras are attached to vinyl soffet over wood.

The wiring is pulled from the basement thru a basement to attic access area. There are areas where it could be beside house wiring for short runs. Its possible the cameras cabling "could" have been pulled and wedged into a bind with some regular voltage wiring/box etc, but I highly doubt it.