almelst

Hikvision dual stream recording playback

I'm mostly using Hikvision's Turbo HD DVRs. They recently introduced dual stream recording (both in main and substream resolutions) in v.3.3.x firmware versions. I expected to be able to use this feature in latest editions of HIk's suveillance software, but niether iVMS-4200 (PC) nor iVMS-4500 (mobile) have such an option. As far as I know, playback stream option is available only via web browser, but only one camera.

Am I missing something ?

What's the point of this feature, if it can't be used properly. BTW, I find dual stream recording very useful, because it enables real time remote playback over slower connections.

Hikvision is known for having new features introduced step by step. You might get a cool option on iVMS-4500 and find out it can not be used at all since the firmware on your unit will not support it for months to come, or the other way around, get a cool option on your DVR/NVR/IPC that can not be used from iVMS-4200/4500 since it is not there at all.

So, if the option is already on the HDTVI DVR, it hopefully will be sometime in the future on a iVMS-4500 update. But don't hold your breath, it might take a while.

Strange behavior of World's No.1 producer. Maybe firmware developers lost email address of application department...

I'm setting up iVMS-4200 v2.5.1.7 software on Windows. In the User's Guide, the description of Storage Schedule Advanced Settings says, "Note: For specific type of devices, you can select Dual-Stream for recording both main stream and sub-stream of the camera. In this mode, you can switch the stream type during remote playback." However my DS-2CD2332-I camera with the latest 5.3.0 firmware only shows the options as Main Stream and Sub-Stream. The camera does offer two streams, I assume simultaneously. Seems like it would be up to the recorder to record both streams, but that's not an option.

"markb", thanks for reminding me of the problem! I've checked iVMS-4200 v.2.5.1.7 and noticed that Remote Playback searches for the recordings made in the stream type selected in the Main View window. This of course works best on the devices which have "Double Stream" option in recording schedule advanced options. So, if you choose Main Stream in the Main View window, you get main stream recording in remote playback and substream recording if substream is chosen. I would prefer if stream type selection was possible in the Remote Playback window, but ...

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply. After some other problems (especially high CPU usage), I've decided to go with another NVR software (XProtect). So far I haven't seen the dual stream recording there either.

What I'd really like is continuous substream recording then main stream on motion (with a few seconds of buffer). Save disk space but still have a basic index/confirmation 24x7.

Strange to find one's own post on a topic when re-researching almost five years later.

We've been using XProtect to record key frames (is that 5 fps?) until motion is detected, then increase to 15 fps. Both are from the cameras' main stream. But we need to expand past the 8-camera free license, so looking at other options again.

Synology's Surveillance Station allows recording the substream until motion is detected, then switching to the main stream.

Reviewing Hikvision's NVR v4.x manual, I can't find any documentation about switching the stream on the fly. So either you have perfect motion detection (ha!) and only record on motion, or you have big hard drives and record 24x7.